Getting a Rooster from another flock...?

Chickenmomma12

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 21, 2015
Terre Haute, Indiana
So, I've been wanting to get a rooster, and I finally have the opportunity. The gentleman that I am getting him from is saying that the rooster will die if he doesn't have any chickens to care for. I don't know how true this is, and was wondering if anyone else has heard this. If it is true, my next concern is the quarantine period. He will be alone for this, and would he get ill or sad knowing that the hens are so close at hand. Any advice on this would be much appreciated. Thanks!

So, I've been wanting to get a rooster, and I finally have the opportunity. The gentleman that I am getting him from is saying that the rooster will die if he doesn't have any chickens to care for. I don't know how true this is, and was wondering if anyone else has heard this. If it is true, my next concern is the quarantine period. He will be alone for this, and would he get ill or sad knowing that the hens are so close at hand. Any advice on this would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Drastic overly dramatic statement there. If the bird dies in quarantine it will be from something you will be glad you were quarantining him for, not because he is alone for 30 days.

I don't know about dying from loneliness. The above post is right, if he dies, it is because he is diseased, or heavily infested with parasites.

However, a big consideration is your own set up. Most backyards cannot really do an effective quarantine. It requires a great deal of space between the birds. One needs to change their shoes and clothing between caring for one set of birds and the other. Most hobby people are not set up for this. If you are just separating the bird with wire, that is not quarantine.

If you are getting a bird from another person, who does not go to swaps and auctions. Whose birds are well cared for, and the rooster is healthy looking and free from parasites, and you don't have a huge expensive flock, I would just add him to the girls.

Yes you are risking possible contamination, but it is drastically reduced in these circumstances. Personally I do not think it is good for birds to be separated, I just added mine a couple of weeks ago.

However, you can only do, what you are comfortable with.

Mrs K

Last edited:
I have 2 roosters that have been alone (well, they have each other but no hens) for about 6 months. I know they would like to have a hen around (I've played hen noises to them and they start strutting around!) but they haven't died without any.

I don't know about dying from loneliness. The above post is right, if he dies, it is because he is diseased, or heavily infested with parasites.

However, a big consideration is your own set up. Most backyards cannot really do an effective quarantine. It requires a great deal of space between the birds. One needs to change their shoes and clothing between caring for one set of birds and the other. Most hobby people are not set up for this. If you are just separating the bird with wire, that is not quarantine.

If you are getting a bird from another person, who does not go to swaps and auctions. Whose birds are well cared for, and the rooster is healthy looking and free from parasites, and you don't have a huge expensive flock, I would just add him to the girls.

Yes you are risking possible contamination, but it is drastically reduced in these circumstances. Personally I do not think it is good for birds to be separated, I just added mine a couple of weeks ago.

However, you can only do, what you are comfortable with.

Mrs K

Thank you so much for your advice! I think that I might just add him with the girls and hope for the best. He seems healthy, and I am going to check him over more thoroughly before I bring him home just to be sure. He's coming from a very loving home, and I am looking forward to having him join my hens. Is there anything in particular that I should be looking for?

His feather should be bright and shinny, his nose and eyes clear and dry, his breathing should not be heard. Avoid any wheezing, sniffling, or drainage. Check under his wings for any sign of lice or mites. The scales on his legs should lie flat and tight. He should have sound legs, good beak formation and an upright carriage with a good walking or strut. He should look alert and energetic.

He should move away from you when you enter the pen. He should not puff up, or crow excessively when you are in the pen.

There is a chance that he might be carrying a disease, but generally, in my experience, healthy looks healthy.

Good luck.

Mrs K

ps. do not take anything you feel sorry for,

Last edited:
Mrs.K, I have seen some of your other posts, and you seem very knowledgeable about everything chicken! I went to check out Stewie (the rooster) . He seems like he is a very healthy rooster. I brought him home to my hens this evening. I am eager to see how they all get along! I want to thank you for your tips on everything. lts much appreciated to have people like you able to give advice to us who are new at this whole chicken thing. Thanks much!

Hey Mrs.K! I have another question for you. First off, my hens and the new rooster seem to be getting along grandly! I was wondering how long I should wait before I let them all free range again. Right now I am keeping them in their run while they all get aquainted better. I didn't know if the rooster would stay around here since hes not used to it, or run away. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

If he is acting very interested in his new girls, he won't leave them to go look for other ladies. I had intended to keep mine all in the run the last time I did this, but he got out. I had him in a cage, the girls were free ranging, and I set the cage down in the run, planning on rounding up the girls and putting them all in the run together. I went back to the house for something, and when I got back, he was outside of the cage, outside of the run, strutting his stuff and wing dancing the girls. They were like, "Hey, there is new boy in town teenagers!" All except Butter and Red, my senior hens, they were more like, hmmmm lets see how this goes..." But all was good.

He was interested in the girls, the girls stay in their area, he does not leave them. They headed back to the coop, and he went with them. However, I do not have anyone else with chickens for square MILES around me.

Leave them locked up a couple of days, when they seem like one flock, let them go in the afternoon, but really I don't think you will have any problems.

Thanks for the lovely compliment!

Mrs K

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom