Getting babies used to the dark.

I've been weaning them off of it over the past week or so. They're about 6 weeks now, some closer to 5 but old enough that they don't need it for warmth very often. We had one chilly night a few back and I left it on but raised it.

What's funny to me is I turn off the garage lighting about an hour or more before sunset and they're near a window so it's not like they're plunged into darkness out of the blue. Maybe I need to kill the lights earlier in the evening so they have more time to acclimate. They're spending most of the day in their soon to be garden where their coop is. We'll be moving out there this weekend if the rain isn't too awful! :fl

I've been weaning them off of it over the past week or so. They're about 6 weeks now, some closer to 5 but old enough that they don't need it for warmth very often. We had one chilly night a few back and I left it on but raised it.

What's funny to me is I turn off the garage lighting about an hour or more before sunset and they're near a window so it's not like they're plunged into darkness out of the blue. Maybe I need to kill the lights earlier in the evening so they have more time to acclimate. They're spending most of the day in their soon to be garden where their coop is. We'll be moving out there this weekend if the rain isn't too awful! :fl
My Ducklings are 3 week old Call Ducklings and definitely did fine over night. I'm sure your more concerned than the Ducks are. I don't go to mine if they cry and they quickly adjust without any silly help.

Your Ducks are big enough to be outside full time without any support.

I'm sorry, I must've misspoke, they're baby chicks. But you're absolutely right, regardless. They'd be outside already but we had a serious rain delay finishing our big girls' new coop (the littles are moving into the older one) so they're going out full time this week!

Do they wake up when you turn it back on? I kinda don't get it. Mine have gotten heat from a flat panel and light from a room light or the sun. I try to keep the room light on a more or less natural day.
They generally aren't sleeping, they are huddled in the dark crying for the light, but yes it can wake them up. I don't see a problem with it. They can eat 24/7 and sleep when necessary. They eventually adjust to being without it. People have used heat lamps for decades for brooding. I generally use my heat lamp for 4 weeks or so than they are out to the coop. I don't understand using a poopy heat plate. I generally brood 15-25 chicks, I would need a lot of heat plates.

Back
Top Bottom