Getting back to the coop...in Maine

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by longgrove, May 30, 2012.

1. longgrove

longgrove Chirping

May 28, 2012
    Hancock County, Maine
    Found this site looking for a local (Ellsworth to Bangor, Maine) breeder(s) to purchase a little starter flock (a bantum rooster and 4 or 5 hens). Would prefer bantum hens (Wyndottes, Hambergs, a Silky, Ameraucanas) or maybe Hambergs or Rosecomb Rrown Leghorns, Lakenvelters, Polish, etc.IE small, clean leg, rose or pea comb, good layers, cold tolerant, and ,hopefully, reasonably docile and friendly.

Have kept chickens and/or ducks for the last 40 years until I had to sell my flock of K. Campbells lats year when my husband suddenly passed. Couldn't manage the ducks care but have figured out I could manage a small flock of chickens with the right arrangements. Do miss the ducks, they were facinating to watch and great layers.

I am in a wheelchair so looking for suggestions for making management arrangements which will be accesable and low maintance (have some ideas already like access to coop through attached shed and ability to access nest boxes, water, and to open the coop's pen-access door from shed without going in coop or outside in the snow. Thinking of a suspended time feeder and deep pine shavings litter).

I am sure there are breeders in my area, or maybe lthers who would like chicks (and don't want 25) who would split an order, but would prefer to buy from local breeders if possible (believe strongly in the importance of suporting local farmers).
    Mary in Maine

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Glen St Mary, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

3. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Songster

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
  4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Free Ranging

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

5. weimarmama

weimarmama Crowing

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Crowing

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. :thumbsup

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Crowing

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

8. longgrove

longgrove Chirping

May 28, 2012
    Hancock County, Maine
    Thanks for replying to my post. What town are you in? Do you know where I can get a list of breeders and types of chickens they raise?

9. ChickiesInUtah

ChickiesInUtah Chirping

May 14, 2012
    Northern Utah
    Hello and welcome from Utah! [​IMG]

I'm sure through this site you'll be able to find some help regarding your accessibility issues and I wish you the best of luck. [​IMG]

10. [​IMG] [​IMG] from washington state glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: