Getting CCLB hatching eggs?

black_cat

♥♥Lover of Leghorns♥♥
May 21, 2020
Connecticut
@CHlCKEN (tennessee) and I (connecticut) have a whole hatching plot going on, but bottom line is that we're both looking to find ~15 CCLB hatching eggs. If you know of reputable places that ship, or breeders near either of us, that would be super helpful!!

I ordered 9 White Legbar hatching eggs from Rising Pheonix Farms and I was impressed with the egg color and packing method. Not a single crack on the eggs and I got sent 3 extra eggs (1 WLB and 2 BCM). 2 eggs had saddled air cells, but that's to be expected from traveling cross-country (South Carolina to Washington). They do Cream and Opal Legbars along with the Whites. https://www.risingphoenixfarmsc.com/

I have roosters from this line and I love them, but I have never personally ordered from them. http://windywhiskerspoultry.com/index.html

Are you looking for quality legbars, true cream legbars, or just legbars (as in you would be fine with non-standard stock and golden crele legbars)? Sadly, many "breeders" breeding "cream" legbars actually have golden creles or cream splits. Nothing wrong with golden crele, but a good breeder wouldn't sell GC as cream. These same breeders will also advertise legbars as "crested" cream legbars or "creme" legbars.

A good breeder should know the SOP, and the correct name (Cream Legbar -- no crested or misspelling). For true cream, legbar hens should have whitish hackles and roosters should have whitish hackles and saddles, possibly faint golden color (no rich gold!).

If you are just looking to have legbars, any NPIP breeder is good.

Good luck with finding and hatching your legbars, they are a great breed to have!

Just looking for whatever ones will be autosexing and lay blue eggs. Unfortunately I will be hatching for others (don't worry, all potential chicks will have planned homes before hatching), so I can't enjoy the legbars myself. I would be fine with non standard birds but obviously want to order from someone responsible.

Just looking for whatever ones will be autosexing and lay blue eggs. Unfortunately I will be hatching for others (don't worry, all potential chicks will have planned homes before hatching), so I can't enjoy the legbars myself. I would be fine with non standard birds but obviously want to order from someone responsible.
Sounds good! (Sorry, I realize my post was probably waaay more information than you were looking for).

Last edited:
(Sorry, I realize my post was probably waaay more information than you were looking for).
( I know you weren’t talking to me)

I thought your post was amazing. Definitely learned a few things. Certainly one thing I didn’t know previously was the thing about difference in sellers between whether they say “Crested Cream Legbar” or “Cream Legbar.”

I personally already knew the thing about many people selling Golden Crele or Cream splits as cream (funny enough from one of your posts a long time ago) but many don’t and I’m sure many learned from that.

Also lots of other bits of helpful information. May have been a bit more info than BC was looking more. (Though I’m sure she’s not upset by it.) but certainly many bits of knowledge in there I will hold onto and spread in the future.

Back
Top Bottom