Getting chickens to come to food or treats in case of emergency?

PhantomSlayer

Songster
Aug 22, 2022
Michigan
Tonight we were getting ready to eat dinner and a fox came into the backyard following two turkeys. After the turkeys took off the fox stood there and looked toward where our chickens were free ranging maybe because i stepped out and they were nearby and I don't know if the chickens saw it or what but they started heading toward that way x.x I managed to get all but 5 of them into the run with shaking food and calling "Here chicky chicky" But the five which includes 2 brahmas, 2 easter eggers (one a young cockerel not even crowing yet) and our little runt would not come! It's not the first time.

Little over 3 weeks ago a fox crossed the front and they wouldn't come. I eventually managed to catch all 5 but still I don't want to have to chase them everytime. So anyone have any ideas to get them to come like the rest of the flock? The runt was the easiest I crouched there with food in my hand and she was came up and was staring at it but not eating which was weird. I even put the food to her beak and she made a weird noise but was standing still like a statue and since she wouldnt eat I picked her up which she tried to flee but I managed to keep a hold of her to get her into the run. Maybe we didnt spend enought time hand feeding those five since their the younger ones or something but at this point their more prone to being fox food at this rate.

How often/how consistently do you do the food shake and treat call? I make sure to do it daily so it's regularly reinforced.

The incident with the runt might've been because she saw the fox and was frightened or wary enough to not want to eat.
It's sorta of a "Whenever needed" thing. If my parents want them away from the house, whenever we want them in an area. So maybe 3 times a week minimum?

It's sorta of a "Whenever needed" thing. If my parents want them away from the house, whenever we want them in an area. So maybe 3 times a week minimum?
I'd work on doing it daily, or even 2x a day if there's birds that are not terribly responsive. And maybe use higher value treats for that, whatever it is they like best, so they really get rewarded for coming to you.

I don't hand feed mine at all past the point of chickhood. But they know that a rattle of the treat canister means something good will come flying at their faces.
Lol I still hand feed one of ours because shes so friendly and lovable. I usually regret trying to hand feed the others. One black australorp, two wyandottes and one barred rock are prone to more of a peck like crazy even if it means biting the hand thats feeding them action even though they have full access to food all day lol.

I always used the same red containers for feed rather than treats so maybe they know its more likely to be just plain food than treats. I'll try cutting up some fruits tomorrow. It's been raining the past two days so hanging out there wasn't to fun lol I think we have apples, bananas, dates, frozen blueberries. So I'll figure out if my moms seen them eat any of those. The rest of them will I know that lol

We've tried giving them carrots but none of them seemed to like them shredded or chunks.

I usually regret trying to hand feed the others. One black australorp, two wyandottes and one barred rock are prone to more of a peck like crazy even if it means biting the hand thats feeding them action even though they have full access to food all day lol.
That's the main reason I don't hand feed. Though I guess I shouldn't have said I "never" hand feed because during berry season sometimes I'll slip a berry or two by hand to birds that aren't getting as many as others, when we toss around berries.
I always used the same red containers for feed rather than treats so maybe they know its more likely to be just plain food than treats. I'll try cutting up some fruits tomorrow.
Treats that rattle may work better - sunflower seeds, for example. They're fatty so you don't want to feed too much, but a little every day is fine.
We've tried giving them carrots but none of them seemed to like them shredded or chunks.
Every flock differs. Mine LOVE carrots (specifically they get the tops of the roots with the greens), but I throw them in as-is. A really big carrot top will last them days because it takes them time to break up the root.

Do yourself a favor and go to the bait store and get some crickets....I can lead mine through NYC with those things!! LOL They know what my cricket box looks like and come running when I pick it up. I give them crickets about once a week and fly larvae in between when I need them to go back to their home base.

Do yourself a favor and go to the bait store and get some crickets....I can lead mine through NYC with those things!! LOL They know what my cricket box looks like and come running when I pick it up. I give them crickets about once a week and fly larvae in between when I need them to go back to their home base.
I'm sure their getting enough crickets here since their free ranging during the day lol. I know a few have gotten some frogs it really grossed my mother out watching them chase each other for it lol

That's the main reason I don't hand feed. Though I guess I shouldn't have said I "never" hand feed because during berry season sometimes I'll slip a berry or two by hand to birds that aren't getting as many as others, when we toss around berries.

Treats that rattle may work better - sunflower seeds, for example. They're fatty so you don't want to feed too much, but a little every day is fine.

Every flock differs. Mine LOVE carrots (specifically they get the tops of the roots with the greens), but I throw them in as-is. A really big carrot top will last them days because it takes them time to break up the root.
I just tried an apple but the 5 didnt seem to interested even with it. The brahmas didn't even come out of the coop. The runt peeked her head out

Back
Top Bottom