Getting chickens to use nesting boxes?

littlepip

Songster
Sep 1, 2018
Minnesota
Hi guys! I recently added some new nesting boxes to our coop, (the first one they had was way too high up, and too wobbly for them to use) and I'm trying to get them to lay in them. as of right now, they'd rather build nests on the ground, which during the winter, causes the eggs to freeze and crack before we can collect them. advice?

Hi guys! I recently added some new nesting boxes to our coop, (the first one they had was way too high up, and too wobbly for them to use) and I'm trying to get them to lay in them. as of right now, they'd rather build nests on the ground, which during the winter, causes the eggs to freeze and crack before we can collect them. advice?
Hi! How about trickery? 😉 Have you already tried fake eggs? Hens generally seem to want to lay where there are already eggs. Can you close off the areas where you don't want them to lay (like putting something in that area to discourage them)? I had to block off a favorite corner to prevent laying there.

Sometimes, they just do what they please. 🙄Best of luck!

What do your current nests look like? Any photos? How would using the nests stop the eggs from freezing?

Use milk crates or some type of boxes rigged so they won't tip over if they perch n the side and set them where they are laying. Would them using those be good enough? If not, once they are used to laying in those nests slowly and gradually move those nests a foot or so every few days to where you want them to lay. See if you can coax them to the nests and then remove the temporary nests. See if they then use your nests. I agree fake eggs are a good thing. I use golf balls, others use other things.

I'm retired so I'm around. You may need to try this on a weekend. I made some of my nests so I can lock a chicken in them. When I have a chicken laying on the coop floor I lock it in the real nest when I catch it on the coop floor laying an egg. It stays there until it lays an egg. Usually this takes about a half hour, I had one take three hours. Usually I only have to do this once but the three hour hen took twice.

I have ONE barred rock newbie that lays on the coop floor right outside of the nesting boxes, grrrrrrr, I never had this problem with any of my hens before. I work during the day and haven't been able to catch her.

I'm retired so I'm around. You may need to try this on a weekend. I made some of my nests so I can lock a chicken in them. When I have a chicken laying on the coop floor I lock it in the real nest when I catch it on the coop floor laying an egg. It stays there until it lays an egg. Usually this takes about a half hour, I had one take three hours. Usually I only have to do this once but the three hour hen took twice.

This is a fantastic solution (at least for those of us with nothing better to do :)). I don't have a way of locking hens into a nest box but I've had luck retraining them using similar logic. I've followed new layers that weren't using the nest box, watched for when they're showing signs they want to lay, and then picked them up, put them in a nest box, and blocked them in with my arms. I only block it off long enough for them to start exploring the box (30 sec - 1 min), and then step back - if they look like they'll stay put I leave them be and check back later. I've retrained a couple of birds this way.

I put golf balls or fake eggs in the boxes to show them where to lay. They 'say':

"Oh, someone laid an egg here... it must be a safe place!"

The six others lay in the 3 boxes provided ( although they all lay in 1 or 2) 🤷‍♀️, I'm considering putting in Chicken curtains?

Attachments

• hgYhq57hTyqPRxSt3nDnJA.jpg
    hgYhq57hTyqPRxSt3nDnJA.jpg
    616.6 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom