Getting chicks in the coop to roost

Our 6 week old chicks aka the toddlers have been in their coop for about 2 weeks, we just started letting them into the run this week. The first night we had to chase all of them in, tonight we just had one that was rather stubborn about going in. Once we got them in, I pick a couple up and place them on the roost. Slowly but surely they're getting the hang of it! You just have to be consistant and repetitive!
Good Luck!

Update: All still going in at night with no problem. Today was the first day out of their run into an adjacent goat pen. Just tried this because it is much bigger than their run and still protected. The goats are totally ok with them; the run and the goat pen share a wall and they have been seeing each other since the chicks went in. The chicks will eventually be able to have access to our whole yard. This is a practice outing because I can still herd them back in fairly easily and it is less risky as far as predators go since there is a moderate tree canopy and the goats will discourage most 4-legged ones.

LL

They can sleep on the floor, but the problem with that is their long-term health. Chickens poop a lot while sleeping. A LOT! They also like to sleep in the same spot every night. Without a roost they end up sleeping in a pile of poo every night. It's not very good situation if you want healthy chickens.

My chicks have been in the coop for quite a few weeks now. I finally saw 2 up on the roost the other day so I figured they would start to sleep up there but nope, still on the floor at 8 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom