getting chicks to go up the ladder to the coop

rivermama

Chirping
8 Years
May 7, 2011
Hi,
I have 4 new 8 wk old chicks, they have the enclosed run/coop all to themselves. Last night was their first night in a coop, previously they had been in a tub with a bunch of other chicks at the breeders house. So last night only one figured out how to walk up the ladder/ramp, the rest I had to chase around in the run and manually put them in. This morning no one would come out so I had to chase them to the ramp. So here is my question...

Should i just leave them alone to figure it out? Or do I need to keep placing them in there to help them figure it out? They are scared to death of me! If I leave them alone should I put some water and food up in the coop? This is a picture of the coop. Thanks! The last 5 I had figured it out on day one!
20180428_131205.jpg

While I am not an “old hand” at this, I am scheduled to receive eight 8 weeks old Nankins in a week or so.

My approach is going to be to keep them in the coop for a couple of days to get use to roosting in the Coop. This will also hopefully get them use to me as they will not have such a wide area to elude my “love.”

My Coop has a number of screened in doors and windows which will allow for plenty of ventilation and is located under an oak tree so I don’t anticipate any heat problems.

Once I feel they are use to their new habitat, I will allow them to enter one of two predator proof (I hope) runs I have attached to the coop. When “sleep” time comes, I am hopefully they will return to their familiar roosting spots in the coop.

Anyway, that is going to be my intended approach. I am sure other more experienced folks will chime in if they have better or other ideas.

Good Luck!

BT

I have found that steps are easier to understand than ramps. I put a rubbermaid step stool in front of one door, another has a big chunk of wood with a smaller on top to get to the right height. Maybe you can put something like that next to the ramp.

I should add that the run and coop is like fort knox...nothing getting in...except that black snake once...

That's a good idea, maybe I'll just leave them in the coop...once I round them up again tonight!

Mine had the same issue. They figured it out eventually, but I did have to put them in the coop manually for about a week.
I did find that they did better when I put a brick under the bottom of the ramp, so it wasn't as steep.

With my first set of chick's I had to daily gently assist all 6 down the rank each morning and up the ramp each night. Took almost a week, then they were old pros. Will see how it goes with the new batch in a couple of weeks. I agree that ramps are strange and chicks need to learn how to use them.

I don't see the ladder/ramp in your pic.
But, yes, it can take time, especially when they have only been in the new place fro a day or two.
Best to have water and feed both inside and out.

You have to help train them.

I left my pullets locked in the coup for a week before letting them out to venture in their outdoor run. This let them know that this was their safe place, their home.

When I did let them have access to their outdoor run, at sun down I had to lift them into their coup door one-by-one. Only had to do that twice. After the third day, they started using the ramp and going in their coup all by themselves.

Back
Top Bottom