Getting chicks to roost in the right place?

blakeh1

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 29, 2013
Ennis texas
My Coop
My Coop
My 6 chicks are 7 weeks old and still like to sleep in the pine shavings on top of each other. I know they aren't cold it's been over 70 for the past few nights. Two nights ago I picked them up and placed them on a lower 2x4 I put in there for them only for them to jump down and cuddle back up in the pine straw. They were sleeping in the nesting box but I have since closed it off. Any help would be appreciated. Here's a pic of the inside of my coop
null_zpsc3e17bb0.jpg

There's no reason to stress them not roosting. Mine varied greatly between roosting times. I have several at 11 weeks that still won't roost, while my 8 week olds prefer roosting on the 3/4" pipe for their water nipples. I have roosts at 6", 18", 24" and 36" so that they can roost at any level they want to. The only consistent girls are the three that are actually laying eggs. They'll figure it out on their own.

I did notice that they seem to prefer something they can wrap their feet around, though. As chicks, they would sort of roost on the 1/2" plywood that is mounted vertically to keep the bedding inside the coop and of course the 3/4" pipe, as mentioned. My remaining roosts are 2"x4" boards laid flat, so their "roost width" would be 1.5". If you're truly concerned, you might try different widths of roosts.

Keep the nest closed until about 16 weeks of age. Other than that relax. They'll eventually roost when they feel secure enough.
Sometimes they do it at 4 weeks, sometimes not till 3 months or more.

Back
Top Bottom