Getting chicks to roost?

Should I put the chicks up on the roost each night?

• Yes!

• No! Let them figure out how to do it

Results are only viewable after voting.
They are buff Orpingtons, australorps, Easter eggers, barred rocks, specked sussex, and a couple d'uccle bantams (which do great getting up on the roost in their own.) The Easter eggers and the female barred rocks do great getting up on their own.

How big is your coop, in feet by feet?
How long is the roost in feet?
Pics of inside of coop would really help.
4' may be too high.

In my experience, some of my birds have taken forever to roost and some don't. I just let them take their time to do it. I have noticed that as heat starts rising in the summer, they prefer to roost. I know it is annoying especially because it makes it harder to clean the coop.

Despite impacts of breed and seasonal variation, there are advantages to having birds roosting up earlier than later. First, can allow detection of health issues that degrade mobility. Second, can enable more rapid counting which is often a good indicator somebody is gone. Thirdly, some predators like opossums, skunks and weasels that come by during the night are not the worlds best climbers. Those predators have been known to get into coops. Fourthly, getting birds up may help manage against problems caused by pest such as rodents. Finally, there can be advantages in having so birds do not sleep in their own feces.

So I went in the coop last night and all but 4 were on the roost and the others were attempting to roost outside in the rain :he I put them up on the roost and they stayed all night long. I think they are finally getting it. Honestly though, if predetors were not in the equation, they would be allowed to sleep on the floor. But they are just too much of a threat. Also I want to keep them from getting sick from laying in their poop all night. Thank you guys for all your help! I am so glad I decided to jump in and start raising my own chicks! There are so many benefits. I am actually getting 10 more today! :celebrate Chicken math is in control lol

Last edited:
Reading this has given me hope for my almost 7 week old chicks. They have a small roosting area about a foot off the ground, although I am getting ready to make some that are higher. They have absolutely no interest whatsoever in the roost, preferring to bed down together in the evening in the bedding.

Back
Top Bottom