Getting close to day 18 with broody! Need advice!

jdwilk

Chirping
May 16, 2019
Hi everyone,
My broody is giving me a run for it. She is so stubborn and won’t get off the nest unless I take her out once a day. She is barely eating even when out. Has clearly lost so much weight. A few questions - this is my first time with a broody.
1. I understand I should not move her past day 18. Like morning of day 18 or should I take her out once more on day 18?? Does this mean she really won’t eat or drink until they hatch?? What if they hatch late??
2. if I go in and hand feed and water to make sure she is getting something won’t she poop on the eggs? I already dealt with one major poop event on day 4... worried about compromising hatch.
3. She is my favorite chicken and I hope she hatches something because I am worried she is going to starve!!

sorry for all of the questions! Just looking for a good outcome for all.
thank you!!

I try. She won’t really get out of the trance unless I remove her! Sometimes she will take some scrambled eggs. So you feed on the nest after day 18?

I feed and water every day until she gets off permanently or I see her actively taking the chicks out.

Have you tried fruit? My birds LOVE melons and plums and it gets them a bit of water

I feed and water every day until she gets off permanently or I see her actively taking the chicks out.

Have you tried fruit? My birds LOVE melons and plums and it gets them a bit of water
Oh I have not tried fruit! That is a great idea. Thank you. I think I am overly nervous about a poop catastrophe because of what happened at the beginning!

Back
Top Bottom