Getting cold and super windy tonight

Kidwantschickens

Songster
Mar 22, 2022
Montana
So it's getting down to 35-36 degrees tonight and there is a high wind warning. 30-40mph winds with gusta up to 60mph.

They're in the coop and I've blocked as much as I can but it isn't a super tight coop and there is definitely still ventilation up above.

They're 6-9 weeks old I think. (Need to look at the receipt. Will they be ok with some breeze on them when it is this cold. I didn't see feathers ruffled when I sat in there but I worry about them.

Thoughts? Help!

Did you take the opportunity to test for drafts? Looking at their feathers pretty much tells the story but if unsure you can take a lightweight ribbon with you and hold it at roost height when the wind is blowing. A little movement is fine, but if the ribbon is fluttering that that's a draft.

My guess is if all the vents are up high and roosts lower, there's little air movement at roost level.

They made it through the night unfortunately the roof doesn't have it shingles on it yet and it rained and of course it's soaked the entire Coop they look like they're dry somehow so that's good but I'm going to have to focus this weekend on getting the shingles on and cleaning out the sawdust because it's going to be disgusting but thankfully nobody's dead so hopefully nobody gets sick

it's soaked the entire Coop they look like they're dry somehow so that's good but I'm going to have to focus this weekend on getting the shingles on and cleaning out the sawdust because it's going to be disgusting but thankfully nobody's dead so hopefully nobody gets sick

You had best get them out of the wet coop into someplace dry and clean out the wet bedding ASAP -- especially if it's going to be bitter cold again tonight.

Chickens tolerate DRY cold down to 0F and below. But wet cold when they can't get dry will rob them of their body heat.

You had best get them out of the wet coop into someplace dry and clean out the wet bedding ASAP -- especially if it's going to be bitter cold again tonight.

Chickens tolerate DRY cold down to 0F and below. But wet cold when they can't get dry will rob them of their body heat.
Happy to report that it is already cleaned out, completely stripped it and it didn't take more than 10 minutes (design success!!) And they are back in for the night, super happy with their fresh dry sawdust and new fenced area.

We're still "putting them to bed" at night but as soon as they are fenced in and not loose I might wait until it gets dark and see if they're smart enough to go in on their own. They were locked in for 2-3 days before getting out at all, then only out for a few hours every evening when I'm home from work.

Good design makes so much difference!
Good design makes ALL the difference! Everything from nesting to brooding; from weather protection to cleaning; and from predator prevention to food and water stations can be made more efficient by good design!

Well done, @Kidwantschickens. I’m in Northwestern Wyoming and we’re getting that same system. I have chicks out there right now - some are 2.5 weeks old, some are 8 days old, and the new ones are now 5 days old. Good design plus Mama Heating Pad are helping them thrive.

Back
Top Bottom