Getting dif breeds to be friends

emazing_lol

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 31, 2011
Hi.
Wondered if anyone can help me out.
Have 4 warrens and recently got 5 silkies (they about 12 weeks old now) think the silkies will be ready to go out soon as their feathers are growing lovely. i have been putting them outside in a 'chick pen' on warm days so the warrens can see them but take the pen away and the warrens attack. is there a way to help these be friends? i am in the middle of building a large chook home for them all i'd hate to have to get rid of any of them because they cant live together
sad.png

thanks Emma

I'm don't know what a warren is - is that a type of chicken? Regardless, it sounds like your difficulties are not so much because they are different breeds as because the new silkies are...well, new. Any time you introduce new birds to an establish flock, they will have to reorganize the pecking order, and typically the "orignal" birds will bully the newcomers, until they have it all figured out. If you do a search on the forum for "integration" you will get a lot of information and hopefully some useful tips and tricks for integrating your two flocks too. Good luck!

Be patient and hang in there, I am waiting for the coexist thing to happen with my flock also. My year olds have seen the "chicks" since the end of May and still go after them. I hope once they are full grown, it will become less of an issue.

Thank you, great advice and will look up integration on the forums too.

Here are pictures of my warrens. you may call them something different in USA. Here there are used mainly as battery hens though my girls came from a farm

94098_img00102-20110407-1613.jpg

94098_img00074-20110405-1643.jpg

94098_img00032-20110427-1052.jpg

94098_img00071-20110405-1642.jpg

Back
Top Bottom