Getting geese tomorrow!!

lil'chickies

Songster
10 Years
Mar 2, 2009
West Texas
The feed store is getting geese in tomorrow and I finally convinced hubby they would be great lawn mowers! He has agreed to 2 but I might sneak in 3
clap.gif

My question is, what do I absolutely need to raise them? Special feeders, waterers, feed? I can get it all at the feed store. I just want to have my list ready to go. Do feed stores require you to bring your own box? How can I tell the sex if they are straight run? I would hate to end up with 3 little boys. I'm so excited, can't wait for tomorrow!!

I have a spot to brood them, and a heat light. What else??

I had ducks around as a kid and want my boys to enjoy the joy of having them around too. So much fun!! Getting my little farm-a-rollin'!!

ya.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif

wee.gif

lil'chickies :

My question is, what do I absolutely need to raise them? Special feeders, waterers, feed?

I have a spot to brood them, and a heat light. What else??

Will be watching this thread and hoping someone answers you because I came here to ask the EXACT same question......except the baby duck version. Can't imagine it would be much different.

Post office called this morning and daughter's baby ducks are here. Not sure if they use the same type waterers and feeders as the baby chicks used.....or do I need something different.​

They will need non medicated food. You can use Purina Flock Raiser. They will need some type of waterer that they can dip their nostrils in to clean them out. Also, make sure that they have some sort of floor that is grippy.

Ok, so I called the feed store this morning and they aren't getting the goslings 'till later tonight or tomorrow. I'm not going to town then so I can't get the geese just yet.
barnie.gif
If I find someone going tomorrow or Friday, I'll get them to pick up the goslings!!

On the positive side, I called another place and they have ducklings!!
celebrate.gif

So I can go ahead and get those! We wanted to have a few of both out here. Geese to mow, dicks to eat our bugs! I was just thinking of getting maybe 3, but my hubby said to go ahead and get 4 or 5!!
clap.gif
He is so corrupted by all the pics!

Here's my list:
-unmedicated feed (20-22% protein) pellets??or ground fine??
-have the brooder box and light
-have wood shavings
-what style of waterer?? a dish or a fount??
-what kind of feeder??

I can't wait to go! Don't know what breeds, they are just a mix of straight run. I'll post pics tonight so ya'll can help me i.d.!!

Still have 2 hours before we leave... can't wait!!!
wee.gif
Didn't want to order, since they are more expensive and have to order a bunch to get them. Just want a few!!

-unmedicated feed (20-22% protein) pellets??or ground fine?? Purina Start and Grow is good, unmedicated. I would only go with 18% protein at the highest.

-what style of waterer?? a dish or a fount?? A 1 gallon fount will work the first 1-3 weeks. Then you will need to switch to something bigger so they can dunk their nostrils.

-what kind of feeder?? Either a bowl that is low to the ground, or you could use one of those hanging type of feeders, just dont hang it.

Ok. One more ?? When do they need grit?? Do they need chic grit or chicken grit?? Do you use a bowl at 3 weeks for the water? I really don't remember raising our ducks. I think I was 7 and it was an impromptu decision by my mom at easter to get them. I'm so excited! I know my boys are going to love it!!

As for a waterer, don't use a dish!!!
They shouldn't be able to have free access to swimming water until they start to feather out, but you can supervise a couple baths if you wish. Just make sure to dry them off well and keep them warm after.

You can use a chick waterer, but make sure they can't walk around in it. Put pebbles or marbles in there big enough so they can't swallow them to prevent them splashing it all out. You can also use a half gallon milk jug on it's side with little holes cut out just big enough for them to get their heads through without getting stuck. The upside to milk jugs is you can replace them or cut the holes bigger as they grow. The down side is they get kind of nasty but can still be rinsed and washed easily enough. (I used milk jugs.)

I also used a milk jug for the feeder! Lol.
You can use a chick feeder, but check it often for droppings (duck and goose poop is really watery) and clean it out a lot to keep the wet food from clogging the bottom.

Ducks are stupid, but very effective pest control.
wink.png

Doesn't mean I don't love them though!

Geese will develop more pronounced personalities, and be nicer if you raise fewer numbers and spend more time with them.

If you feed them grass or other greens, make sure they get some chick grit to help with digesting it.

I would suggest getting them yourself, so you can check for health. But that's just me.

You can use wood shavings, but they'll get really damp really often, so watch out for spills ect. I used layers and LAYERS of newspaper, with cloth rags and old towels on top to prevent slipping around. When they're a couple weeks old and have their legs, you might be able to just use straight newspaper (that was good news too! didn't have many rags left).

If you have any other questions, just ask me!
tongue.png

I've researched A LOT OF STUFF.
old.gif

gig.gif

Hey, I answered your questions before you even posted them! Lol...
I"M PSYCHIC! Just kidding.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom