Getting Holderread Sebastopol!!!!**PICS!**

So here are the pictures I said I would post:
44552_dsc05000.jpg

This is Nick (as in St. Nick
wink.png
) I named him this because he is my Christmas gift.
Dave Holderread said "The gander is one we used in our breeding program last year; and the pair should produce some nice offspring."

44552_dsc05001.jpg

This is one of both of them. Holly
wink.png
, Nick's mate, is very shy and I could not get a good picture other than this one. She is the one in the background.

Here is the strange thing. When we first got them out of the shipping box, they ran up to us and nick at right out of my hand. Now, they are more scared and avoid us at a farther distance than our birds. We put them in with our geese and they are getting along fairly well other than a few nips. So what happened?

Theron they look nice! Like their names. Cute!
wink.png

Why they acted friendly at first...who knows...maybe they were hungry and now their confused
due to suddenly being in a new and strange environment, hence fearful.
The 3 - Sebs I got from DH this year were in rather poor condition and highly afraid of people and still are.
It's not unusual when you buy geese over 6 months old for them to be afraid of you especially if they
haven't been interacted with from day one like I do with mine.
In time your new geese might settle down but my experience has been that (disclaimer: NOT ALL)
but many remain on the timid/hissy side.
Even many of the goslings I've hand raised have become timid and leery of me after 6 months old
and ones that formerly sat in my lap won't even come hear me.
On the other hand some have remained tame no matter how old they are so individual personality
and not just human/environmental conditioning is a factor.
Never-the-less you can raise babies from them that will be tame...at least for 6 months. LOL
wink.png

Best wishes with them!
Maybe we can do some trading in 2011.
smile.png

Now you've got them and for all the rain and wind they were having out there they look good. Will be a lot of fun to watch them as well their offspring feather in next fall. Can't explain the shift in behavior but my guess (and with geese much is guess work
wink.png
) is that their initial lack of a fear response might be more their basic personality than you are seeing after they have been moved and realized they are somewhere else. Hard to know for sure but enough people got sound stable temperament in the Sebastopols Dave shipped that I can hope with a bit of time you will also be one of them. [email protected] www.sebastopols.freeforums.org

just got back from a show and really like this guys, do you guys now any one with eggs or goslings ? and what is the going ]rice on these, I don't want them old, I would rather have them real young

Back
Top Bottom