getting homeowners insurance if we sell broiler chickens

PS I think Nationwide has poultry farm insurance. Search for term in your favorite search engine and maybe that will help. It could be the processing and storage part that is an issue also, I’m not sure if a commercial policy would benefit you in this case

We do have a legally taxable business. We were told that even if we got separate business insurance they still would not cover our home because the chickens were sold from the same property. We would have to subdivide the property to do this and we are not willing to do that at this time. Its such a hassle. We have thought of not mentioning they were for sale, I'm worried though that should anything ever happen, we would get in trouble and we are trying to do everything by the book to cover our end.

Oh so if you subdivide your property you won’t have an issue with them saying salmonella is the reason they can’t insure you?

But if they’re live birds how will they get salmonella? I’m not new to chickens but I am new to salmonella 😂 do live birds give people salmonella? I bet that’s a dumb question and the answer is yes huh?

do live birds give people salmonella?

only if you lick them :)

the problem is, yeah, the answer is actually yes - unfortunately everything in the food supply chain seems to be at risk of being contaminated with it. I mean when you're packing, shipping, and storing raw or cooked meats, eggs, cheese, etc, next to broccoli next to toilet paper next to kitchen utensils, and the goal is to go as fast as possible and pay everyone as little as possible...

Seriously though, live "pet" birds have been under major scrutiny from the CDC lately though. Seems people like to nuzzle and cuddle with their chickens (notably children doing this to chicks, but not exclusively...) and then they sometimes get salmonella and then give it to their entire family.

only if you lick them :)

the problem is, yeah, the answer is actually yes - unfortunately everything in the food supply chain seems to be at risk of being contaminated with it. I mean when you're packing, shipping, and storing raw or cooked meats, eggs, cheese, etc, next to broccoli next to toilet paper next to kitchen utensils, and the goal is to go as fast as possible and pay everyone as little as possible...

Seriously though, live "pet" birds have been under major scrutiny from the CDC lately though. Seems people like to nuzzle and cuddle with their chickens (notably children doing this to chicks, but not exclusively...) and then they sometimes get salmonella and then give it to their entire family.

Ohh yeah my kids love to cuddle chicks. And I do too! They’re so adorable. And I eat raw eggs from my own flock every now and then. A risk I take but I grew up eating raw eggs because my dad would mix it in our milkshakes. I don’t feed raw eggs to my kids though.

salmonella Isn't deadly but you can get sick for a few days. Most food poisoning is caused from salmonella. I have probably had it in the past. Not sure but have had the symptoms.

Salmonella is really common in nature. Some strains are a lot stronger than others. I think most of us have had cases, I'm sure some of my mild cases of diarrhea were because of salmonella. If you are healthy most strains of salmonella are not going to bother you that much but some can be dangerous, especially for the vulnerable.

Salmonella lives in intestines and is shed through poop. Chicks and chickens poop wherever they are and are constantly exposed to poop whether in the brooder, coop, run, or free range. Other animals can spread it. Salmonella is a big part of why they recommend rinsing fruits and veggies from the store or homegrown, be careful handling raw meat, and wash your hands after about anything. That's part of why I use a lot of water cleaning and rinsing when I butcher chickens, there is a risk. The risk is real but I don't let it rule my life. You can make it sound like gloom and doom, life as we know it ends tomorrow. But how many of us are suffering through it right now? Not many.

I can partially understand the issue but not totally. I'm not going to speculate but just wish you luck in finding some kind of solution.

The fact is that research has been done and published on salmonella that comes from from a place that demonizes bacteria and microbial life in general. A main part of our modern culture is to sanitize everything. When really (in my own opinion) we should be rolling around in the compost pile eating half cooked or raw eggs all the time as part of our personal (aka: DIY) health care plans :) But the insurance companies might not agree with that type of thinking.

Back
Top Bottom