Getting Into Chickens For Ag Prodject

What do you think is the best way to start in the chicken business?

• Raise Chicks

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Buy Grown Chickens

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't Start At All

• Use Someone Else's

• Your Nuts

• Ask a Wizard to Turn Me into A Chicken

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BorderAussie

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 17, 2014
Hi, I'm BorderAussie and I am not from Austrailia. I choose my user After my ChickenSmoothie account which in turn after what breed my dog is.

So I have decided to start getting into Chickens for my Agriculture class project. My mom told me I should just buy a full grown chicken, but what fun is that?? :D

So I will be asking lots of Questions and for advice. So don't be afraid to drown me with Info before I drown you with my Q's. :p

Well, a few years ago I had ducks. But I'm not sure that is helpful, though there was headlamps and health checks involved. I do help my aunt with her Bantams and feed and gathering eggs from her Dominuqers . ( how ever it is spelled) :/

Well I can tell you right away that chickens are way cleaner than ducks are. They don't make a huge mess out of their water like the ducks. So are you keeping the chickens at your house or do you have a place at school where you are planning on keeping them? Also, what are you wanting to keep the chickens for? Do you want them mainly for pets, are you looking to get eggs, or do you plan on showing them at a fair or livestock show?

Alright
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you joining the flock
frow.gif

If you have raised ducks it is similar in most ways just
subtract the pond and chickens roost for the most part ......

Welcome!

You should probably decide what type of business you want. Do you want to sell eggs? Do you want to raise meat birds?

If you are starting an egg business, I would start off with young laying hens so that way you don't have to wait months before your first egg. If you are wanting to raise meat birds, go for broiler chicks. You process them out between 8-16 weeks.

If you are just wanting them for pets/show, I would recommend getting them as chicks so as to make them more tame and easier to handle. You can also make them so friendly that they'll come up to you and jump up onto your lap to be pet. And if you are going for show birds, buy them from breeders who breed show quality (SQ) birds.

Back
Top Bottom