Getting meaties from cousin, best way to trim down?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by CalebtheChicken, Aug 6, 2010.

1. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    He said he'd give me a CX and Turken, he raised them for meat.
    What is the best way to trim them down to a healthy weight? Exercise? Minimal feeding?

2. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    Are you trying to thin them down because you do not want to eat them? Not going to work well with the Cornish cross unless you get it from day one, and even thin it's iffy....once they have been fed to grow big really fast, their muscle mass grows faster than their bones and organs can keep up with, and they begin to have issues with fractures, heart problems, ascites (fluid in the abdomen that can't drain away), lung problems...they just are not comfortable long past the time they would have been butchered, and may die a very painful death. As far as the Turken, put it on a lower fat food than it used to eat and encourage it to excercise...free range it if you can, if not, maybe scatter the food on the ground where it has to walk around to get it all rather than just sit at the food bowl stuffing itself.

3. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    Quote:[​IMG] thanks,I'll put them both on a diet and if the CX's health fails I'll cull and make dinner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by