Getting my first chickens today!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Ashlea, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Ashlea

Ashlea Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2014
    Thomasburg Ontario
    I'm so excited that our family is getting our chickens today. My husband built a beautiful coop for me well for our chickens and he is bringing them home soon. We are so excited to have fresh eggs and new friends!

2. The ChickenKing

The ChickenKing Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2014
    NY
    Congrats! Do you know the breeds? Welcome to the flock!!:welcome: :yiipchick

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  3. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Welcome from Central Oregon! [​IMG] I'm sure you are excited, I sure was when I first got mine, too! How old are the chickens you are getting today?

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Congratulations! It's always so exciting getting those first chickens. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of chickens are you getting?

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help. [​IMG]

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Congrats on the new flock! Have you stopped by our learning center yet? Lots of good articles on all the aspects of keeping your flock...https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

If they are of laying age, they may stop laying for a few weeks due to the stress of moving. Just keep things quiet around the coop for a while, move slowly around them, keep all loud noises and such to a dull roar and keep fake eggs in the nest boxes so they know where you want them to lay. If you plan on free ranging, lock them in a coop for a few days so they know where home is and will always return there.

Good luck with your new flock and welcome to ours!

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Congratulations on your new flock!

9. Ashlea

Ashlea Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2014
    Thomasburg Ontario
    Thank you for the warm welcome everyone! I have been checking out the site for aboht a week and found it to be a great resource! Mu chickens were all born in May and they are just beautiful. We have one plymouth barred rock a buff brahma and an australorp. I only got to see them for a few minutes when they came home because it was already dark and I didn't want to shine any light on them. Can't wait to wake up and see them tomorrow!

10. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG]

Glad you joined us.

You are in for an eggciting experience.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by