Getting my first chicks next week! Scared to death!!

I'd get some sex-links for eggs. My girls just started laying and today is the second day in a row I got 4 eggs from 4 hens. Black australorps for eggs/meat. Some silkies for brooding future chicks and for the kids to play with. But that's just me.
big_smile.png

welcome-byc.gif

I just got my first chicks the middle of June. They will be 5 weeks on Friday, 27 of them. Love, love, love them!! I too was very nervous because of all the horror stories I was reading but so far so good. We will be putting them in the coop this week, so I am keeping my fingers crossed all goes well with the new digs!! I know they are safe inside the house so it scares me a little that we now have to start treating them as outside pets, which other than my horses I have never had.
hmm.png
I am sure you will do great and your children will love them!

As far as breeds, we got Silver Laced Wyandottes, Dominiques, Buff Orpingtons, EE's, White Crested Black Polish, Buff Laced Polish and Light Brahma's. That gave us a very good assortment of colors of eggs as well as the chickens themselves. All but the EE's and Polish are dual purpose for the most part so if we have any trouble makers or bad layers they will make for a pretty good dinner. They all should be ok during our winters and summers as well as being good layers, producing an egg every 24 to 36 hours for most give or take. We will see!!

Good luck with everything and definitely use this website for any questions or researching pretty much anything.
thumbsup.gif
caf.gif

Post pics when you get them settled!!! PLEASE
love.gif

welcome-byc.gif

I agree with the other posts. It's a little scarey at first but before you know it you will be a pro. They need food, water and shelter (basic requirements) with some room to roam (a run).

I'm getting my first chicks the first week in August and I'm very excited too and a little scared!

Quote:
Basically I'd look through the pics and choose what you like.

I'd stay away from the silkies and the polish; silkies tend to go broody a lot and won't lay when broody, and polish have a skull defect (as I understand it) and also tend to get picked on a lot in a mixed flock. You can look at Henderson's breed chart http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html to learn a little more about each breed, but mostly except for silkies and polish I'd simply choose what appeals. Having a variety of breeds helps you tell them apart.

As for scared to death -- read my siggy line! We're right here for questions or problems.

after looking at their site i would get a couple marans they have potential to lay a dark dark chocolate brown egg, i would also get a couple Blue laced red wyandottes because well i think they are gorgeous and sweet birds and then sex links to insure you get girls

New "chick momma" here, too. My girls are just 9 days old today - shipped from mypetchicken.com. I was so nervous when I picked up the chirping/moving box from the post office! But when I got home and opened it up, they were all OK. So far, so good. Just had one girl a couple of days ago with dried poo on her rear - gave her a gentle warm water bath to take it off and she's fine.

Feeling the same way now as I did 12 years ago when my son was born! Kind of clueless but enjoying the adventure!

If you've done your research, you'll be fine. Fresh food and water multiple times a day early on is critical, as with raising the food and water above the mess are key. I kept raising mine as they grew over the weeks. They don't seem to drink when the dish is full of shavings.

Oh and it does get better, though mine do flip their food tray daily still. I just say good luck and forage more silly girls. Hopefully they'll learn

Good luck and enjoy every moment.

Back
Top Bottom