Getting my first Cornish X tomorrow. Am I ready?

The first batch of Cornish cross I had I did everything wrong. Lost most of them. The next batch did fine. I ordered mine from McMurray and did what they said. The turkey feed made a big difference. We can't get broiler feed, but these fast growers need a higher protein feed than regular chicks. I feel the broiler booster made a difference, too. Unlike the first batch we have had no problems with cripples and bad legs. We butchered ours at under 12 weeks and most of them dressed out at eleven to 14 pounds. A few were in the 8 pound range. That is oven ready weight, not live weight.

We're planning to butcher around 8 weeks. On the high protein feed, they should be as big as we want them by then.

They arrived yesterday, all alive and vigorous. One little one has seemed lethargic today, but I've been giving it sugar water and it seems to be perking up. They are VERY hungry little buggers. It's amazing how much more they've already eaten than the egg-layers that came in the same order...

If you are using a high protein feed, after the first couple of days you should add a generic vitamin supplement to there water so they can convert the extra proteins. A grower feed does not have the extra minerals in it, chicks need to get a good start.

You also need to use a chick starter for the first couple of weeks, as chick feed has extra minerals added to it so bones and organs get a good start. After the first week or so we add a generic vitamin supplement to there water for a few weeks.

Tom

Last edited:
Today I was a TSC and they had 26% protein feed and 22% feed. There was not much of a price difference. I think more protien bigger birds but am I wrong?????

My first batch, I fed 24%, the second I fed 20%. I saw no difference in the size. A lot more died early in my first batch, but that could be due to any number of factors.

Back
Top Bottom