Getting my first rooster!!!

TinaK

Songster
9 Years
Feb 12, 2010
Australia
Hi guys!

Just had to come and post because I'm super duper excited. After a few years owning chickens and having finally moved out of the city to a farm - I am finally getting my first Rooster tomorrow!
wee.gif

Getting a 3 month old Barnevelder cockeral from a local breeder.

I don't want to go into full scale chicken production so I have chosen to go with Barnevelders as my breed of choice. At the moment I only have a few Isa Brown hens running around so I still need to find some Barnevelder hens somewhere down the track!

I can't wait! I pick him up at lunch time
wee.gif

I can't wait to have a spunky man chook
big_smile.png

I wanted to get into a breed that's not too common around these areas. ISA browns are everywhere out here thanks to a free range egg farm that seels all their laying hens for $3 when they reach first moult!!! I want something a little special!

(I can already see where this is going to end up... multiple coops, multiple runs and multiple breeds! Shhhhhh don't tell my husband! He doesn't know chicken math)

The guy who I am purchasing him off is going to part deliver him tomorrow. I go to pick him up from the guys work at 12:00pm! Very nice of him considering it will save me an hour trip!

yeah for you....my first year with chickens ended up being ALL roos...we re-homed them all and started over the next summer...now I have 14 girls and 2 roos...LOVE the roos, can't imagine a flock without them. Not only do they do their "jobs", they are beautiful!

68634_dsc_0039.jpg

68634_dsc_0287.jpg

I love my girls, they are beautiful also...but these boys! I am praying one of the girls goes broody this year so I can get
some pretty babies!

You can see which roo is the alpha can't you!

68634_100_0236.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
I love roos too! Wish I could have one! However, it the ratio is something like 1 roo to 5 hens, why don't they hatch that way? Wouldn't that be incredibally handy!

Congratulations! I hope he is all you wished for.

Good luck.

Awesome and I hope he's as kind to you as he is handsome (roos are gorgeous)! We're looking forward to getting our first rooster soon, too.
smile.png

Quote:
I love roos too! Wish I could have one! However, it the ratio is something like 1 roo to 5 hens, why don't they hatch that way? Wouldn't that be incredibally handy!

That would be the BEST EVER!!! I don't think we should hold our breath, though.
smile.png

wow JodyJo your roos are just lovely
love.gif

Thanks for all the responses guys. I'm sure I will love having a roo as much as you guys all do!

Well I'm about to head off to pick him up! I'll post pics of him when I get back
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom