Getting my first rooster!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TinaK, Jan 2, 2012.

1. TinaK

TinaK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Australia
    Hi guys!

Just had to come and post because I'm super duper excited. After a few years owning chickens and having finally moved out of the city to a farm - I am finally getting my first Rooster tomorrow! [​IMG]

Getting a 3 month old Barnevelder cockeral from a local breeder.

I don't want to go into full scale chicken production so I have chosen to go with Barnevelders as my breed of choice. At the moment I only have a few Isa Brown hens running around so I still need to find some Barnevelder hens somewhere down the track!

I can't wait! I pick him up at lunch time [​IMG]

2. angie3881

angie3881 Chillin' With My Peeps

Roosters are the most awesome invention God created... well, almost. LOL Have fun! I know you will. I have six. Wouldn't trade one in. [​IMG]

3. TinaK

Feb 12, 2010
    Australia
    I can't wait to have a spunky man chook [​IMG]

I wanted to get into a breed that's not too common around these areas. ISA browns are everywhere out here thanks to a free range egg farm that seels all their laying hens for $3 when they reach first moult!!! I want something a little special!

(I can already see where this is going to end up... multiple coops, multiple runs and multiple breeds! Shhhhhh don't tell my husband! He doesn't know chicken math)

The guy who I am purchasing him off is going to part deliver him tomorrow. I go to pick him up from the guys work at 12:00pm! Very nice of him considering it will save me an hour trip!

4. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    yeah for you....my first year with chickens ended up being ALL roos...we re-homed them all and started over the next summer...now I have 14 girls and 2 roos...LOVE the roos, can't imagine a flock without them. Not only do they do their "jobs", they are beautiful!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love my girls, they are beautiful also...but these boys! I am praying one of the girls goes broody this year so I can get
    some pretty babies!

You can see which roo is the alpha can't you!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  5. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Quote:I love roos too! Wish I could have one! However, it the ratio is something like 1 roo to 5 hens, why don't they hatch that way? Wouldn't that be incredibally handy!

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Congratulations! I hope he is all you wished for.

Good luck.

7. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Awesome and I hope he's as kind to you as he is handsome (roos are gorgeous)! We're looking forward to getting our first rooster soon, too. [​IMG]

8. angie3881

Quote:I love roos too! Wish I could have one! However, it the ratio is something like 1 roo to 5 hens, why don't they hatch that way? Wouldn't that be incredibally handy!

That would be the BEST EVER!!! I don't think we should hold our breath, though. [​IMG]

9. angie3881

Quote:JodyJo- You have some very handsome boys at your place!! Love the pictures.

10. TinaK

Feb 12, 2010
    Australia
    wow JodyJo your roos are just lovely [​IMG]

Thanks for all the responses guys. I'm sure I will love having a roo as much as you guys all do!

Well I'm about to head off to pick him up! I'll post pics of him when I get back [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by