Getting my hens more protein without feeding their eggs back to them..

What kind of Barley? I have pearled barley from the grocery store. do you feed it raw or cooked?

When you give them sunflower seeds do you feed them husk and all or just the shelled seed?

Regarding cat food, dry pellets or wet canned food?

Quote:
Well, the barley is not for protien, the fishmeal is
wink.png

That said, our mix comes from a local feed mill, that makes all of its products from locally grown barley.
It still has the hulls on it.

Beware of feeding pet foods to your chickens. They are very high in sodium and heavy metals.

Sunflower seeds are fed whole, just like they would find them in the wild.

I feed my hens a 20% protein ration year round - it's only a little more expensive than the 16%, but it's what my feed store carries routinely. The hens don't need the extra protein in the winter (when they're not laying well), but I figure it helps build up their reserves for bumper crops in the spring, which they give me. It also helps regrow feathers for those older ones who have molted.

Like other posters have said...in the winter, it's the calorie requirement that is the most important. Hens don't lay (well) when daylight lengths are short. Mine are already increasing, now that winter solstice has passed.

Rachel, TX

I find that my egglayers do better with some animal protein in their diet. I get lots more eggs from them. So I toss out the leftover roast chicken carcasses to them, any kind of meat leftover from the kitchen, yogurt, and I do give them a handful or two (20 chickens) of dry cat kibble. If you can, get the kitten variety as it has even more protein. And read the ingredients. You want one that has an animal protein as its first ingredient. And anything other than layer feed should be given sparingly. If it's not meant for chickens originally then consider it a treat...<10% of the diet.

And I also give some of what everyone else has mentioned whenever available. All good ideas.

Couple of things I give my girls:

Meal Worms - freeze-dried
Hard boiled eggs all mashed up so the gals don't recognize them. They love 'em.
Ground up Crabs shells for calcium
Dried lentils with yogurt and Garlic and/or applesauce
Free range them as much as possible for "come and get your own protein"

Last edited:
i also throw mine meat scraps other than chicken. i just don't like the idea of feeding chicken to chickens. but they get turkey, which they LOVE and is good protein. meal worms are another great idea.

ETA milk products like yogurt and cheese are good for chickens for several reasons: they supply protein and calcium, good fats, and help replenish the good bacteria in their guts (yogurt especially). just don't over do it- feed maybe once a week- and avoid actual milk because they can't digest it and it can give them diarrhea.

Last edited:
Quote:
So the only place around me that has that is San Tan Feeds in Gilbert. I guess if I can drive to the Stock Shop, I can drive to Gilbert.

Wouldn't it be so much easier if the major food makers would just up their protein to 18-20%?? I have struggled with this problem since 1993. The original reason I got chickens was because I read an article about them in Organic Gardening. They recommended 21% layer mash and some scratch treats. Back then there was one place I could get 21% layer pellets! I used a local mill for many years that only had 16%, but it had animal protein, so they did pretty well. After a 2 year break in the early 2000s, I got chickens again and fed Purina. Without the animal protein and only 16%, I have had problems off and on. Presently feed 19% Purina Gamebird Flight Conditioner, but if the feed store doesn't get some 20% Gamebird Layer/Breeder in the spring, I will have to go somewhere else. Feed producers say to give them only layer feed, but that is just no fun. I think they need variety. JMHO.

Back
Top Bottom