Getting my hens more protein without feeding their eggs back to them..

I found it much easier to just feed a non-medicated starter / grower to everything. The starter/ grower I use a 21% protein it works great.
Now the Layers and Breeders I give a Vitamin/ mineral supplement.
The company that makes the feed I use has a 36 and a 44% Poultry Supplement that you just add corn too adjust the protein that you need.

Chris

I agree with fishmeal, I use Ventura Grain, milled locally in Taunton, Mass, it contains fish meal. My almost 7 month old chickens are laying about 4 eggs a day. It is very cold, blustery, wind chill, but, they are going well.

When I checked the ingredients list on my feed bags, it was 17% protein, but from SOY. I prefer to give my girls animal proteins. In the summer they supplement their regular feed by free ranging and eating lots of bugs. In the winter when everything is frozen solid, I give them crickets and mealworms from the pet store. Cheap and entertaining. I also give them leftover meat from stock-boiling, home-rendered lard suet with peanut butter and left-over meat that my DH might not want. He gets first dibs...

If you don't care about what kind of protein, then I'd recommend tuna fish, kitten chow, BOSS or add peanuts/pumpkin seeds to their scratch.

Back
Top Bottom