Getting new 6 week old pullets tomorrow, concerned about heat

katydid1

In the Brooder
May 7, 2024
Hello everyone,
Im very excited to write that we are picking up our 3, 6 week old polish chicken pullets tomorrow. We are driving 4.5 hours up to the mountains of NC to get them and 4.5 hrs back. I had a few questions as a new chicken owner.

1. The mountains are about 10 degrees cooler than we are down here maybe more. It is set to be 90 degrees tomorrow when we get home. I have heard it is best to keep the chicks confined to the coop for the first 24 hrs, so they know that is their place to roost. Our coop has good ventilation and windows, but I am concerned about the pullets getting too hot especially when they are not used to this heat. Should i let them have access to the connected run due to the heat?

2. I have electrolyte packets to prepared. Should I use this for them due to the heat and stress the first few days? I have fermented feed prepared since that is what they are used too.

3. We have a dog crate with pee pads and pine shaving at the bottom along with water feed and food and treats for the ride. Any recommendations for traveling for 4.5 hours with pullets would be appreciated.

I am very excited to be apart of this group, and have been doing a lot of research.

Thanks,
Katy

Hello everyone,
Im very excited to write that we are picking up our 3, 6 week old polish chicken pullets tomorrow. We are driving 4.5 hours up to the mountains of NC to get them and 4.5 hrs back. I had a few questions as a new chicken owner.

1. The mountains are about 10 degrees cooler than we are down here maybe more. It is set to be 90 degrees tomorrow when we get home. I have heard it is best to keep the chicks confined to the coop for the first 24 hrs, so they know that is their place to roost. Our coop has good ventilation and windows, but I am concerned about the pullets getting too hot especially when they are not used to this heat. Should i let them have access to the connected run due to the heat?

2. I have electrolyte packets to prepared. Should I use this for them due to the heat and stress the first few days? I have fermented feed prepared since that is what they are used too.

3. We have a dog crate with pee pads and pine shaving at the bottom along with water feed and food and treats for the ride. Any recommendations for traveling for 4.5 hours with pullets would be appreciated.

I am very excited to be apart of this group, and have been doing a lot of research.

Thanks,
Katy
Welcome Katy! I would put a frizbee full of ice cubes and a bit of water in the coop to help with the heat, they will put their feet in it, which helps then cool down. For driving with them, be prepared for them to be upset. They will be ok, just mad. Your driving settup sounds great! You can always add a perch, though, if you want. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom