Getting new chickens to go into the coop

jlchick

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2020
Hi. I am introducing two new hens to my small flock of five. I’ve done the “look but don’t touch” method, then let them mingle but kept access to the dog kennel I had them in so they could get away from the others. Now they are mingling without access to the kennel, just staying there at night. I think I’m ready to take the kennel out of the run. My question is how do I get the new hens to go into the coop at night which I close after the girls are settled in. The coop is plenty big enough for two more.

Hi. I am introducing two new hens to my small flock of five. I’ve done the “look but don’t touch” method, then let them mingle but kept access to the dog kennel I had them in so they could get away from the others. Now they are mingling without access to the kennel, just staying there at night. I think I’m ready to take the kennel out of the run. My question is how do I get the new hens to go into the coop at night which I close after the girls are settled in. The coop is plenty big enough for two more.
I’d like to know the answer too! My new ones get along great with my big girls and show some interest in going in the coop but they usually get halfway up the ramp and decide to jump off.

After all are roosted for the night tonight, i would take the new hens and place them on the roosts with the others.
Also remove the small kennel tonight or tommorow.
Be prepared to help them for the next few nights if they are still looking for the old coop.
They should catch on fast.
if your existing coop is large and roomy, it would not hurt to leave them all cooped in for a couple days to aclimate them.

Back
Top Bottom