Getting new chicks without knowing if male or female

Try Meyer hatchery.

http://www.meyerhatchery.com/

They have most breeds they offer in "female only" order options most of the time, though spring is best.

You need the small order option:
http://www.meyerhatchery.com/page_221.htm

... cheaper to get straight run and eat your roos, or line up a buyer who wants to ... but if you want small order female-only, Meyer is probably your best bet.

I believe they do most of the order fulfilment for orders placed through "my pet chicken", though I'm not certain.

Quote:
That's another concern I have... my neighbors are fuddy-duddies and hate anything we do. I don't care other then the fact of letting them out... I don't think the 20 dollar bill would work. Now maybe an 100 bill. lol

Check First and if its legal to do then you dont have to ask them anything. There are answers to that too. ( i put mine in a "rooster box" in the morning and that muffles his crow in summer". But ive had chickens since i was 6 so i think i would be grandfartherd in bye now.
I think once you get your order, it will be simplier than you think!

Last edited:
I have several straight run hatchery chickens here..I have never got close to 50% roosters in any of them...I always get more pullets
big_smile.png
and then I have ordered all pullets and have had some little Roosters.I do know if I bought from a hatchery that sent me mostly roosters I would be finding me another to buy from...but it's Purely Poultry here..min order is 15 for most unless you pick a few of the more rare breeds then it's a total of 25 and their chicks are very healthy no dead chicks to deal with. It's getting towards the end of the year though and most hatcheries have sold out of many breeds now.
Our roosters all live together and don't fight worse than the hens do. Plus a fresh chicken dinner is so yummy

Quote:
That's another concern I have... my neighbors are fuddy-duddies and hate anything we do. I don't care other then the fact of letting them out... I don't think the 20 dollar bill would work. Now maybe an 100 bill. lol

Man, if a $100 works but not the $20, then your neighbors aren't fuddy-duddies, they're blackmailers!
sad.png

Kidding aside, best you can do is make your set up look very very nice, with plantings and things, and all that.

Or move away.

But now you make me wonder if you really should want roosters at all, if you've got iffy neighbors.

Yep. Definitely need to move away. Out to the country. Or -- hey! Come to NC!
cool.png

Quote:

Check First and if its legal to do then you dont have to ask them anything. There are answers to that too.

It's definitely legal for me to have them any way I want. I live out of city limits and we live in a farm/ranch type area. I'm just trying to be nice... why I don't know considering they don't return the favor!
tongue.png
lol

Quote:

Man, if a $100 works but not the $20, then your neighbors aren't fuddy-duddies, they're blackmailers!
sad.png

Kidding aside, best you can do is make your set up look very very nice, with plantings and things, and all that.

Or move away.

But now you make me wonder if you really should want roosters at all, if you've got iffy neighbors.

Yep. Definitely need to move away. Out to the country. Or -- hey! Come to NC!
cool.png

LOL I'm in the country! Nah... I'm not worried about my chickens being caged. Its if I let the the access roosters out to roam around and be... well chickens. Our other neighbor, has some guineas that run around and they complain about that but they're not my birds.

Back
Top Bottom