Getting out of jail

what is the best time of day to reunite her with the other girls?

I'd avoid after dark and locked in the coop unless you now without any doubt you would be there before they woke up. If your coop is not dark enough at night that they cannot see I'd worry about that. My preference is during the day, morning or afternoon not important, but when you can observe. And I'd give them as much room as possible.

And for whatever reason, once in a great while, you get a bird that just does not fit with the others. I always solve for peace in the flock. Consider letting her go if this does not work out. An upset, tension filled flock is not fun, and you mentioned how relaxed the others were once she was out of there.

Years ago, I got too many birds for my set up, and I had a predator help me out. I was pretty discouraged, until a day or so later, I realized the same thing. The ones that were left were so much more relaxed. I decided that was the number that fit best in that set up.

Always solve for peace in the flock, wishing they would all be nice just does not work.

Mrs K

Sounds like the "let them sort the pecking order out" isn't going to work for you..I followed aarts suggestions and put in hiding places and out of direct line of sight barriers and that did the trick for us. We have a bit more room than you but give them a place to escape from the bully and they will take it.

My flock of 5 chickens (8 weeks old) has a real Americana bully. After trying squirt gun and noise, I have put her in jail for three days in a separate large wire dog cage (and a small crate at night.). She is able to see her flock during the day. When is the best time to reintroduce her to the flock ( morning when they get up, during the day, or put her in the coop at night?). I feel like I should watch and monitor the reunion in case she failed to reform. She terrorized and injured one of the girls (she’s OK) and pecked everyone’s feet and body relentlessly. The other four have been so happy while she has been gone. Anyone have any thoughts to share? I would appreciate it. (FYI we have a custom-made coop with a 60 square foot run.)
Hmm. Sounds like chicken dinner to me....

I agree with Mrs. K, it doesn't have to be fancy or huge just obscure the direct line of sight. I have noticed that time has a way of swinging the balance of power from a "bully bird" to the more even tempered pullet. It is tough to watch little girls get picked on but IT DOES work itself out...usually.

Back
Top Bottom