Getting Peafowl Tame

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Birdrain92, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Crowing

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Thank you! I wouldn't be surprised. I think though it would take a long time in harsh environment were other things come in to play. I worked with them today and I took less time since they allowed me to corner them and pet them. Also I try to work with them as I lock them up at night so it gets cool enough I'm sure they wouldn't overheat as fast but I try to take as less time as possible. If they won't behave within a time that it stresses me out just take a step back and wait. I might move to step two in a couple days. I first have to see how well they do tomorrow. As you saw he was beating my side with his wings. Sides don't hurt but face stings a bit. Arm braces have saved my skin from claws a few times. I'm certain they can sense your emotions. That's why I try to keep calm, not threatening mood to try and keep them call. Also I will talk to them or to keep their attention off of me I will snap my fingers away from my other hand to sneak my other hand up close. Kind of hypnotize them with the snapping since it's a steady tempo. Singing or whistling helps calm my peafowl down just another note to add.

2. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Crowing

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    I'm now uploading video of step 2 on YouTube and will be able to share it sometime tomorrow. To let everyone know step 2 helps get the peafowl even more tame than step 1. You'll see the difference between the first day and now. I don't have to put as much time and effort to catch them. I hope this helps people out with getting them tame.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  3. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Crowing

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Thank you all for being patient for waiting for part 2 and now I present part 2! If you have any questions or comments don't be afraid to comment. Next step will be introducing the tether which I prefer to stay on step 2 for a while before going to tether. When the training is complete there will be a final video in getting peafowl tame showing the goal being made.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: