Getting ready for Fair, Sebbie questions

Huny

Songster
11 Years
Nov 14, 2008
Sunny Southern Arizona
Hi everyone! I have two pairs of young Sebastapol geese, and I want to know which ones to enter. I might have to take pictures for this one, but I'll do my best describing.

The two males, one has a longer body/back. The feathers are curly all over on both of them. Both have great heads, and the necks are about the same length. Do we want the longer body or the shorter more compact body?

The two females, one has super super curly feathers everywhere, but the front of her chest. They are almost smooth, but have "body" to them. Is this a disqualification or a "smooth-breasted"? She has a shorter body, and a Long, but sturdy neck. Great head also. The other female has a very long body, very long neck almost swan like. Do we want the longer slender neck, or a "goosy" sturdy neck? Her feathers aren't nearly as curly, but she is curly all over.

Then again, I am assuming I have two of each, the heads of two are different and they were a little more grey when they were younger, and smaller than the other two. What are ways to make sure ones a goose and ones a gander?

Thanks for the help!

I only recently acquired a pair of Sebs so by no means am I an expert or even good at giving information from experience.

I have read and talked with others that with the Sebs you are looking for a more "rounded body" almost basketball-like. While an elongated body is not the worst, rounder is the preferred.

As far as the neck a more stocky neck is preferred rather than thin and elongated.

Good luck to you in the competition.

I'm sure the "real" Seb people will be along soon to give you more advice.

Willow, that's what I read to, and I was looking at a picture on here on the best of breed winner from the Ohio Nationals 2008, and they have the LONGEST necks and bodies! Are we going for swan or goose here? I want to know for selective breeding too. Like everything, I guess we learn more from what the judges choose at the show than from actual descriptions in the standard.

I guess there's a standard that is written and then there is a standard that is chosen!
smile.png

There is probably so many factors that go into what becomes a winner and they average out the positive points and the faults.
Hopefully, your birds will bring you a win!

Quote:
Might I suggest that photos are not the same as seeing the goose in person? Otherwise they could just send in photos and save all the trouble and expense of traveling and carting their birds to the show. It takes talent to take pictures that actually look like the bird. Seeing the pictures posted on this site should convince you of that!
It is true that different judges either read the standards differently or subsutitute their judgement so that different birds are selected for best of breed. This has been proven by so called double (or multi) shows, where they will bring in two (or more) sets of judges to judge the birds, different results are not uncommon! The Standards are supposed to be neutral and capture what the opinion of the breed was when they were written.

We have the APA Sebastopol Standard posted on the Sebastopol Forum if you care to look at it.
http://www.sebastopols.freeforums.org/
I would say the current trend in show Sebastopols is pretty close to the standard except the standard calls
for a medium length neck and allows for a "slight" curve....although alot of folks who are breeding for
show Sebs like no more than medium length neck
and stovepipe straight.
Head should be round and not snake like.
Stature, low to the ground and no long legs although ganders tend to have longer legs.
Depth and wide is a plus but theres a fine line in retaining the Sebastopol elegance and beauty without getting too big and course.
As for the crazy world of showing what wins can vary greatly depending on the judge.
Have fun showing and don't take any losses personally.

Last edited:
Thanks Cottage Rose, I appreciate your help on this one. I know pictures are deceiving but the Ohio Nationals one their necks look almost twice as long as my geese. So even if they were stretching mine wouldn't look close to that. I think going to shows and seeing what is winning is a good "backup" way to learn what the standard is, I still have a lot to learn.

I think alot of Judges have pet peeves when it comes to judging birds, perhaps a great head and short legs would be of greater importance than a short neck? I think neck length would just depend on how balanced the goose looked, when judging a bird I like to think they look at the whole bird...

Can you post some pictures of your Sebs for us?

Back
Top Bottom