Getting ready to butcher some ducks.

I like duck processing info being in the duck section.

If you do not like the idea of someone butchering their ducks, why in the world would you even open a thread entitled "Getting ready to butcher some ducks"???

As for mallards being small, so are silkie chickens and so are quail. All are edible and quite delicious.

How big are mallards? They will probably be less greasy than Pekins. (IDK?)
I'll bet they will be really tasty! I love ducks: they are both cute AND delicious!
Also, what is wrong with having Duck butchering in the DUCK section???? I don't get some people!
hu.gif

Quote:
Wild flying mallards are small, maybe a couple pounds live weight. We keep a handful around for the pet trade. There has been little interest in them as a meat bird due to their small size, and relatively high cost per pound processed.

As I said my ducks are pets but I have no offence to anyone butchering their ducks, its a way of life. Yes people come here to ask how to butcher them and to be honest it is ineresting to read about these things, thast how you learn about life, just like watching Animal Planet, you might not like to watch Lions killing Zebras and such but you sit an watch because its not something we see on the streets of America every day.
Its like a while ago someone put up a pic of her ducks de headed strung up on a fence, I saw the pic and was like
sickbyc.gif
but I also had a bit of a chuckle about it knowing that all hell was going to break loose in here, which it did in the end and the said topic was moved.
Its all a learning curve to some. I didnt know how to kill and skin a chicken but I found a post where someone did a photo by photo account of how to do it and I looked at everyone of those photos why...coz I didnt know how it was done, but now I do. Not that i would ever do it, but at least im now educated in how to get that chicken who was running round 1 day and was cooked and eaten as a lovely meal the next day.
It doesnt bother me to see these pics or to read the questions people ask, but if they read the title and dont want to read, then dont answer the OP, they will soon go away if no one answers them. Thats all I was saying, Im not trying to cause and argument, im just saying my 2 pence worth. Now I will go and
caf.gif
pop.gif

Thses are our 120 quart heavy duty aluminum stock pots used for processing. One is for hot soapy water, and the other is for melted wax.

70871_scalding_tanks.jpg

I have ducks for pets and hunt so I can also have duck to eat. For the OP I think Captain Carrot's advice is the best. I have found that the drake mallards doesnt have the problem of the pesky pin feathers that stay in the skin like the girls. We usually dry pluck ours because it is never alot of ducks. but we breast (no skin) the girls mostly for this reason. Also I think most ducks have a different taste. I guess if I had to pick a favorite wild duck it would be a woodduck (kinda nutty flavor,maybe from acorns?) Pekins for domestic, mallard close second plus they can be wild or domestic. Although ALOT has to do with the recipe of course. I always try to help the OP on their question first .THEN everybody can rant and rave because opinions are like rear ends EVERYBODYS got one and at one time or another it will stink!
gig.gif
(mine included)
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom