Getting ready to start.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tmarr, Nov 20, 2015.

1. tmarr

tmarr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2015
    Gulp, well my incubator has arrived and I've started collecting the eggs. I've set them pointy end down and am turning them, got my x and o's on lol! This probably sounds stupid but I had a quick look at the incubator and I had assumed it would record the humidity as well as the temperature? Maybe it will become clear when it's on etc but if not I take it they can be bought and put in with the eggs?

2. JetCat

JetCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    you always want more then one (and preferably 3) thermometers and hygrometers for reference. also run your incubator for at least 24 hrs AFTER you've got it to a stabilized temp/humidity before adding eggs.

3. tmarr

Jul 15, 2015

Ok that's great thanks I've ordered some! :)

4. JetCat

JetCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    You're welcome, good luck with the hatch!! [​IMG]

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Also, it's important to calibrate thermometers and hygrometer.... no matter where you get them, and no matter how much they cost! Check your bator for high/low temp spots, even if it has a fan. And, before you even plug it in, I recommend that you read ALL of Hatching Eggs 101 in the learning center. It will answer questions you didn't even know you had, and help insure a successful hatch.

1 person likes this.
  6. tmarr

Jul 15, 2015
    Oh brilliant thanks will do. Have switched it on, put the water in, set temp to 37.5 Celsius/ 99.5 F. It's all over the show lol going to take a few days to figure it out!

7. tmarr

Jul 15, 2015
    Hmmm wishing I'd got a more expensive model. There's a circular track around the bottom which I assume is for the water, there is a grid covering the electrics in the middle bit. Wonder would I be better putting kitchen paper in it?

8. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Before you put water in it, read up on "dry or low humidity incubation" A lot of us are using that method with good results.

9. tmarr

Jul 15, 2015

It said to fill the tray with water, wasn't any tray with it just the track thing!

10. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by