Getting really worried about my duck

*I will surely take them outside more than before.

*I had provided a bedding of straw for them but they were eating those straws so right now there are some rice bag covers on which they usually sit.

*I give them starter, cooked rice(without oil), pea, potato, tomato, cucumber, cooked egg, apple,lettuce. She used to eat them all but know she mostly eats egg and potato and sometimes some starter. Today I gave her some peas and she refused eating it.

Im really worried about her behavior. She used to do as same as others but now she is less energetic. Even the way of drinking water has changed. Im sure you know what I mean.

Thank you all for your replies. It really means a lot to me.❤️

Are you in the US? asking because I know in other countries people feed their poultry different than we do here in the US. But at 12 weeks they really need their feed more than anything else because it is formulated with all the nutrients they need to grow. Eggs scrambled is another good sourse of protein and many other nutrients but their feed should be top of the list. Maybe try making some of her starter mixed with warm water into a soup and she if she'll drink some of it.
It sure sounds like something is definitely wrong but only a vet can tell you what and treat her. Have you given them any niacin as a supplement since you've had them?

No I'm not living in the US. I will try to feed them scrambled eggs. about niacin, I thought that the amount of peas and potatoes that I give to them can provide enough niacin but it turns out that I was wrong. Should it be special form of niacin for ducks or can I use the niacin which is out there for the birds?
And I want to mention that I pour some multivitamin in their water once in a while.

Give them their starter also. Niacin is very important for strong legs. A lot of times only one will show up with a deficiency and it can cause lameness and other issues I’m not sure what you can get in niacin where you are but most of us use a liquid BComplex when we see one of our ducks showing symptoms of niacin deficiency it’s readily available here at many feed stores or we can order online. But to make sure our ducklings are getting a good dose of niacin many of use nutritional yeast and sprinkle it over their feed daily 1 Tablespoon to each cup of feed. Large breeds especially Pekins and probably Pekin mixes may need niacin supplemented all their lives. But for one showing niacin deficiency the liquid works the best. This maybe some of your ducks problem, peas have niacin but we don’t know how much to feed so they get the amount they should have daily. If you can get the liquid that would be best for her and to make sure she gets full dose put the 1 ml over a special treat that she loves so she gets full dose I and the other ducks can have it in their feed or water as long as they aren’t showing any symptoms. I’d treat her for niacin deficiency and see how she is doing in say a week. Be sure to let us know. It may be something else I and if she was to go down hill then a vet would be best but we have to start with eliminating and since niacin deficiency is what we see most common in young water fowl it’s good to start there.
Also I’m not saying not to give the other things you mentioned but it should be as a treat. And maybe while you’re treating your duck that’s having problems right now keep her food to starter and scrambled egg and one treat to give the b complex. You can also buy human b complex and crush a pill up and give it that way over a treat if you can’t get the liquid BComplex.

Last edited:
No I'm not living in the US. I will try to feed them scrambled eggs. about niacin, I thought that the amount of peas and potatoes that I give to them can provide enough niacin but it turns out that I was wrong. Should it be special form of niacin for ducks or can I use the niacin which is out there for the birds?
And I want to mention that I pour some multivitamin in their water once in a while.
I want to add by now they should be off starter
Grower would be a better option
Also with all those snacks are you providing grit ? Because they are mostly indoors they are not able to find rocks to help digest any feed that’s not regular bag feed for birds
I keep a few bowls out even when my ducks are outside all day just in case they don’t find any grit
It’s very important for them to have

*Today I bought vitamin -b liquid to pour it in their water. I will figure out the right amount of it and start giving it to them.

*I didnt know about the grids but they had access to the garden but I will surely provide some.

*The food that I buy for them has no labels so its difficult to find the grower one but I will look for it.

*She is doing better now thanks to your recommendations. She eats and drinks more and behaves actively but unfortunately the runny brown poop is continuing.

Make sure to give the one you posted about 1 ml daily of the B complex try giving it to her over a small amount of treat she really likes. Giving it to her in water dilutes it down too much. Your other ducks that aren't showing the same symptoms can have it in their water.

Great to hear she is doing so much better.
and
:welcome

Back
Top Bottom