Getting really worried about my duck

Jerome32

In the Brooder
Aug 10, 2023
Hello. First of all sorry for my bad English.My duck was limping a week ago so i decided to get her to a vet. They told me that nothing is wrong with her and you can take her home but there she had an injection near her leg. A few days later she started behaving abnormal. She was lethargic and she didnt want to eat anything but she was drinking water. I gave her some food wih syringe and the day after she started to eat and drink. But she is not as active as before. Most of the time she is staring at some point while her friends are bathing or eating something. Most of the time when her friends are sleeping she stays awake and doesnt sit. I tried to pour some apple cider vinegar into her water today. Im really worried about her. Do you have any idea what might be wrong with her?

Yes
What was the injection, and why did the vet think she needed it?
You can use Google to translate if you need to, it will at least give us a starting point-
Plus all of the questions that @Jenbirdee asked. Age/ last egg/ poop quality.
Also
How many ducks do you have?
Do you let them range, or keep them in a run during the day?
How much space do you have for them in the coop and in the run?
What kind of ducks are they (Pekin, mix, etc)
What is your coop / run setup like?
Any chance that you can send photos of the coop/ run, and also the bottom of her feet?

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I try to answer all the questions.
*They are 3 pekins.
*Injection: I didnt ask about the injection unfortunately but she was absolutely fine before i took her to the vet. The diagnosis was trauma.
*Limping :She is not limping now. The vet examined her very carefully and her leg and feet was totally ok in his opinion except the trauma matter.
*Age: They are about 12 weeks old and as far as I know they are not in the age of laying eggs.
*I keep them in the garage and they have plenty of room there. Once a day I take them to a big yard to bath and play.
*Poop:Last night I sat a few minutes near to her, the two others were sleepling but she was looking at me while standing. Her poop was brown and runny.

I thought to send the form of her poop its on the ground. They have plenty of space but they have the habbit of sitting there.
1000000863.jpg

Last edited:
I thought to send the form of her poop its on the ground. They have plenty of space but they have the habbit of sitting there.
View attachment 3605796
She looks like an ancona not a purebred pekin
With any leg issues its great if they can get more swimming time
At 12 weeks they should be able to be outside at all times
If you are worried about predators then making them a secure outdoor run would be best
My 3 week olds are outside all day

I can see why she would be sitting on that wood platform. Cement is very hard on their legs and feet. She may not like being on that concrete garage floor. It can give them bumblefoot and that is hard to cure sometimes and can make them lame. She is a beautiful duck and I hope that things get better for her.

@Jerome32 what are you feeding them? poop can look very different according to what they are eating including treats. And brown watery poop doesn't necessarily mean there is something wrong. She could have been having a reaction to whatever the shot was too.
How is her appetite today?

Back
Top Bottom