Unsuccessful baby duck

Im so sorry for u..ducklings shouldn’t be wet all the time..yes,ducklings love swimming..but they shouldn’t swim all the time and the water must be lukewarm neither cold nor hot..they should be warmed..and have their heat lamp lit..they can get cold which can be fatal…..Ducklings can also get tired and can drown
I beg to differ on the lukewarm water comment, I think ducklings should swim in nice warm water [not hot] but feel good like when giving a baby a bath warm. it cools down fast enough when it's warm.

Im so sorry for u..ducklings shouldn’t be wet all the time..yes,ducklings love swimming..but they shouldn’t swim all the time and the water must be lukewarm neither cold nor hot..they should be warmed..and have their heat lamp lit..they can get cold which can be fatal…..Ducklings can also get tired and can drown
I second this.
Water must be warm but short
5-10 mins tops
No younger then 3 days old
I use paper towel to dry my babies then set under the heat source
Never leave baby unattended
Once a day is plenty
They shouldn’t have drinking water they can’t swim in
So sorry for your loss

Last edited:
If she became soaked/chilled/hypothermic, yes this could cause her to die. Ducklings get 'oiled/water proofed' from their mother initially. As they grow they can oil themselves from their oil gland. I never lost ducklings that way, but over the years others have posted of losses from this.
This isn’t fully true
I never saw my broody duck oil her babies
The copied her when she preened they did to
My babies start baths at day 3
5-10 mins with warm water
Water deep enough where they can stand up. Never left unattended
Once out I dry them with paper towels to soak up the water and set them under heat source
They immediately start to preen
Next swim the oil is working
They hatched in my bator
I have hatched many ducklings never lost one and watched everyone of them oil themselves without a mom

Thank you for helping us out
Your very welcome we all want this to be a wonderful experience for you all, especially your daughter. The only thing I will say about that info is the shavings, a lot of times newly hatched ducklings will try and eat the shavings so many of us use puppy pee pads for the first week till they know their food and are eating it well. Some even use old clean towels [no strings] I have used both The nice thing about towels is they can be shaken out and washed and reused. You don't want them on a slippery surface which can cause splay[spraddle] leg Make sure to also have a thermometer so you can keep track of temps in the brooder. I have never kept my ducklings over 90* even from the start usually around 87-90 for the first week.
I am sure others on BYC will offer help too and what has worked for them.

When will the ducklings be shipped?

Your very welcome we all want this to be a wonderful experience for you all, especially your daughter. The only thing I will say about that info is the shavings, a lot of times newly hatched ducklings will try and eat the shavings so many of us use puppy pee pads for the first week till they know their food and are eating it well. Some even use old clean towels [no strings] I have used both The nice thing about towels is they can be shaken out and washed and reused. You don't want them on a slippery surface which can cause splay[spraddle] leg Make sure to also have a thermometer so you can keep track of temps in the brooder. I have never kept my ducklings over 90* even from the start usually around 87-90 for the first week.
I am sure others on BYC will offer help too and what has worked for them.

When will the ducklings be shipped?
Yes we used old towels in the first brooder.They should ship between yesterday and Wednesday and we already contacted the post office to inform us as soon as they arrive…thank you again I also ordered some books on raising ducks we have 4 coming so we are all excited about their arrival

Yes we used old towels in the first brooder.They should ship between yesterday and Wednesday and we already contacted the post office to inform us as soon as they arrive…thank you again I also ordered some books on raising ducks we have 4 coming so we are all excited about their arrival
We're here for you as well. Let us know when your babies arrive. ❤️

Back
Top Bottom