Unsuccessful baby duck

Pics

BeardedDuckDad

In the Brooder
Mar 16, 2024
We managed to hatch a baby duck and she seemed to be thriving,she was eating swimming playing and just chirping away.She loved my daughter and she was my daughter’s whole world. But her eye started sticking shut and we would fix it with a warm wet q-tip and it seemed to be working she had just finished swimming and playing so we gave her some food and water and she seemed perfectly fine then all of a sudden she went limp and died….omg my daughter is so upset….what did we do wrong? What should we have done differently?

Attachments

• lp_image.jpeg
    lp_image.jpeg
    161.8 KB · Views: 132
We managed to hatch a baby duck and she seemed to be thriving,she was eating swimming playing and just chirping away.She loved my daughter and she was my daughter’s whole world. But her eye started sticking shut and we would fix it with a warm wet q-tip and it seemed to be working she had just finished swimming and playing so we gave her some food and water and she seemed perfectly fine then all of a sudden she went limp and died….omg my daughter is so upset….what did we do wrong? What should we have done differently?
Marek?

So sorry for your loss. :hugs Did she have water at all times, enough to submerge her entire head? How old was the duckling? Was she just eating, and dropped dead, did you notice she seemed off, or did you leave and come back she was dead? What is your brooder set up like?
She was 2 weeks old and she was eating and drinking plenty she wasn’t submerging her head though so we just introduced her to water deep enough to swim and submerge her head but she still wouldn’t.She wasn’t alone she was at the table with us we were all eating breakfast and she just fell forward and went limp.I tried a little cpr but nothing,she was gone.We had blankets and a little nest for her to roost in

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    391.7 KB · Views: 22

Back
Top Bottom