Getting red comb

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DLS, Oct 9, 2010.

1. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 25 new RiR hens. 3 of them have grown a comb & the others are just getting started. These 3 have small waddels & the comb & ears are BEET red - thats usully a sign of getting ready to lay. BUT these hens are only three monhs old, they were born on 4th of july. ! WHATS UP?
    (& they don't seem t act like roos eather)

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Maybe you should show us some pictures.

3. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

Nothing to take a picture of . three out of 25 hens has grown a RED comb at 3 months. the rest has not.
    Dan

4. egg proof

egg proof Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2010
    I'm far from an expert, but my RIR's combs were red early too. The size of the comb seems to play a big part, as only one is laying (20 weeks) and her comb is huge compared to the others. I would rely on size more than color. When the combs flop get out the fry pan. [​IMG]

5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I have 10 RIR'S 6 are 25 weeks & 4 are 22 weeks. Two have big combs I mean red & falling over also big red wattles. I thought holy cow I have 2 roos which I don't want. Well, I started getting an egg a day. Yea. Well I wanted to find out who was laying. So I caught her & low an behold it was the rooster looking one. I was happy about that. Now If I could catch the other rooster looking one laying I'd be even happier. I"ll get a picture & show you .

6. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:They might be just a little ahead of the curve. And they could also be males that got slipped in. I would not expect a truly red comb in a female at that age, but stranger things have happened. That's why i thought pictures would be nice.

7. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Here they are 25 weeks old. [​IMG] Heres the one laying.

8. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Here is the one not laying 25 weeks old.[​IMG]

9. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    Quote:looks like a hen to me, you may want to get that fry pan out soon. [​IMG]

10. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:looks like a hen to me, you may want to get that fry pan out soon. [​IMG]

Yep!!! Just finished breakfast. She layed at 10 am so I had to wait . But it was worth it. Everything I ate was raised at 7L. I had venision sausage Which was killed here, eggs from the babes, & green onions from the garden,& well water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by