Getting rid of mites or lice.....

missedi

Hatching
12 Years
Mar 7, 2007
Recently I posted a question about my chickens having red balled places on their butts and a bit on their backs too. I have 33 chickens and have never had a bug problem. This may seem odd, but I don't even know what to put on them to get rid of the bugs. Everyone has different ideas about pesticides and what-not. I just want something that will do the job....safely.
Anyone got a good remedy? Only the pen with my youngest layers have this problem. Would it be safe to just treat them and not the rest?
Thanks a bunch for any tips.

Food grade DE. Apply directly as dust and add it to their favorite dusting hole.

Jody

Hi, if you can get some wood ashes for your birds it works quite well for mine. get an area so they can dust. Make sure they're not hot & put it where the ashes won't get wet.
If you have bugs on your birds you need to clean their coop as well & DE is good to use in the coop or on your birds.

Miriam

Thanks for the all the info. on how to get rid of bugs on my girls.
Hopefully I'll see some fluffy butts in no time at all.
I've heard the phrase " red as a chickens behind" all my life, but never really understood it til my girls got a case of ' red chicken behind '.
Thanks everyone!

Just to be clear for everyone reading this. FRONTLINE and ADAMS FLEAN AND TICK sprays are NOT approved for use on your birds and you can be fined by the Federal Government for do such.

Also if you try to find out what is approved for use on your birds to combat mites and lice you will have to search your STATE EPA site.

Here is a link to get you started http://state.ceris.purdue.edu/

WES, just curious...is Frontlline not approved because of risk from eating the treated chicken's meat or eggs? Just wondering, cause as I understand it there are directions with the Frontline spray for treating poultry...or are they referring to other types of birds?

I was very interested in the use of Frontline on my birds and went to check it out on the web... I found this at First State Vet Supply's site..

Frontline Spray

Newer insecticide very effective against mites. Must be put directly on skin of birds. Seems to have a long residual life.

Includes complete directions for use on POULTRY.

I also investigated the maker of Frontline's site and it said very clearly there that it was for dogs and cats, no mention of birds of any sort... so I emailed First State and asked what were the complete directions and what was the withdrawl time, if any, for egg consumption or even use of the birds for meat. The reply I received said...

Hey Marion,
While the description says it is for use on Poultry we do have a disclaimer in the terms of use section about use on animals for food purposes.

The directions for Frontline that we supply are ones that we have developed here over the last several years. It is my understanding that frontline is not absorbed through the skin and therefore should not have any effect on the eggs.

Since it would be used off label no one can legally tell you about whether or not it is safe to eat the eggs as no research has been done to prove the withdrawal time or any thing like that.

If I can be of further service. please ask
--------
So I checked their terms of use section and this is what it says....
23. Product Disclaimer.

Every effort has been made by First State Vet Supply to insure the accuracy of the information presented on this site. The products presented for sale on this site are not intended for human use and will not knowingly be sold under any circumstances for that purpose. Products sold on this site are in no way intended to be used on animals in use for human food production of any kind. No information given on this site should be considered a medical opinion of any kind and any remedy suggested should be checked out with your Veterinarian before proceeding. However, it remains your responsibility to become familiar with the products that you are purchasing. Please consult your Veterinarian if you have any questions.
-----------------------

So I guess the answer is to do what you think is best... personally I won't be taking chances with my birds although I have never found a product that was as completely wonderful in ridding dogs and cats of fleas as Frontline is and I wouldn't hesitate to use or recommend it for your furry four legged pets!

Back
Top Bottom