getting rid of mites

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by daddy_roo, Oct 20, 2011.

1. daddy_roo

daddy_roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Kentucky
    my hens have mites. i have tried de but nothing happened. what else can i do?

2. unix_micki

unix_micki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    sevin dust did wonders for mites for me....repeat after 10 days

3. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

I know I'm going to get a lot of flack for suggesting this but...

Have you ever heard of Hot Shot No-Pest Strips? I once had a snake that got mites. The only suggested way to get rid of them was to pick them off one by one with tweezers. Can you begin to imagine trying to do that with a 12', 70# boa constrictor? Than someone suggested a Shell No-Pest Strip (Shell doesn't make them anymore, but Hot Shots are the same thing) outside her enclosure. I tried it and, sure enough about 3 days later she had no mites. We took the strip away, and she seemed to suffer no ill effects.

WARNING!!! Do not use them in an enclosed, poorly ventilated space. They are a vapor product. Remove them immediately once your mite problem is solved.

DISCLAIMER: (Pretend that this is at the bottom of the screen and in really fine print that goes by way to quickly to really read. Imagining it in a non-contrasting color will help the illusion too.)
    The opinions, ideas and suggestions expressed in this response are those solely of the author and do not necessarily represent those of BackYardChickens, any or all of it's membership, it's parent organization or anyone in their right mind.
    [​IMG]

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Ivomec Exprinex. Zero withdrawl time so you don't have to toss the eggs. .25 cc for bantams, .50 cc for standards. Put it on the skin on the base of their neck.

Or Permethrin 10% spray. Spray all over the bird (under wings, vent, legs/etc) also spray down coop, roots, run.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by