Getting serious about breeding

KCkitten05

Chirping
Jul 24, 2019
Hi all!

I'm looking to start getting serious with chicken breeding.. as of now I have a mixed flock.. like a very mixed flock! I'm trying to decide which breed to go with after I sell off my hens (which is going to be heartbreaking). I've got a gorgeous lavender Ameurcana rooster... And 5 Ameurcana hens. I love that breed but I also love marans.. I'm wondering if I could keep marans hens with my Ameurcanas and just sell the offspring as olive eggers? Or would it be more lucrative to sell my rooster and specialize in Marans? I would like anyone who has experience with these breeds to advise. Thank you!!

Are you looking to do an egg-laying flock for semi-commercial use (selling the eggs), or are you looking to breed chickens? The two concepts are quite different things.

You have a great start on an egg-laying flock for pasture with the Ameraucanas and the Marans. Just add some Leghorns (GAAACK!) or some Spanish or some Campines or Penedesencas or Anconas plus some sort of brown egg layers, even those Stars or Comets or ISAs which are hybrids. Your egg production should go way up.

Wanting to sell eggs or wanting to breed chickens?

I'm not really looking to sell eggs. I've got so many right now and they just go to friends and family. I'm really looking into producing quality chickens that lay colored eggs. The other thing is my chickens are free range.. so.. I don't know if what I'm imagining is possible. There is no way I'm keeping them in a run. If it's not something feasible then I guess I'll just keep what I have and keep selling Easter Eggers. Thank you for your response!

Back
Top Bottom