getting shipped chicks in the mail.

quailmama 82012

Songster
Dec 27, 2019
Show Low, Arizona
No, they are not coming in thirty minutes or anything, i am just trying to do some research before i move and am able to get them in about six months.
i have a tractor supply, a cal ranch, and a local feed store that have chicks for sale, but i don't know if they sell silkies or not, which is what i want. i also want to find someone local that sells silkie pullets, but i have had no luck with that so far.
so if none of my stores/people that sell chickens sell silkies i think i might have to buy online.
does anyone have any information on getting chicks in the mail? what to do, where to get them from Etc...
also any info about silkies is appreciated :)

thank you.
i like the fluffy appearance, but i dont care about their head feather size, and i am not showing them so i dont think the quality is a major problem unless it affects their health a bunch.
edit: if any one saw this post before i edited it twice, you saw how jacked up it was :rolleyes: so sorry for the confusion

Ideal Poultry in Cameron, TX has huge variety of chicks. They are very friendly and easy to deal with. I got 8 chicks in the mail back at the first of July. They were all happy and healthy and they were exactly what I ordered. I would do a quick internet search for hatcheries near AZ and start calling people. I’ve read good things on here about all of the big hatcheries. A little research definitely goes a long way. Enjoy the process and don’t rush any part of it.

Ideal Poultry in Cameron, TX has huge variety of chicks. They are very friendly and easy to deal with. I got 8 chicks in the mail back at the first of July. They were all happy and healthy and they were exactly what I ordered. I would do a quick internet search for hatcheries near AZ and start calling people. I’ve read good things on here about all of the big hatcheries. A little research definitely goes a long way. Enjoy the process and don’t rush any part of it.
X2 for ideal!

It looks like Ideal currently has bantams available. We've never used them, but had our first mail-order chick shipment in June from McMurray Hatchery. We ordered 17 chicks and shipping went really smoothly. Only one had pasty butt, which isn't bad for shipped chicks, although one died the second day of unknown causes. They are 8 weeks old now and seem healthy. The woman I spoke to at McMurray was really helpful and friendly.

i looked at all of the sites you guys gave me and this is what i found:
Mt Healthy Hatcheries: did not have silkies
Mc Murray: had them, but currently sold out
Ideal: had a BUNCH and as of now they are in stock
and of course when the time comes i will also check my local shops for them.

Back
Top Bottom