getting shipped chicks in the mail.

Ideal Poultry in Cameron, TX has huge variety of chicks. They are very friendly and easy to deal with. I got 8 chicks in the mail back at the first of July. They were all happy and healthy and they were exactly what I ordered. I would do a quick internet search for hatcheries near AZ and start calling people. I’ve read good things on here about all of the big hatcheries. A little research definitely goes a long way. Enjoy the process and don’t rush any part of it.
Check the BBB for hatcheries in your state. It is worth the time, and certainly with the heat, a good time to consider the stress and travel time of your babies.Closer means less, and easier to react any incidents from shipping. Ideal has fantastic staff! And I ordered at almost 5p.m. and the chicks (rir) showed the next day. I'm a big fan of freedom rangers..the staff and how birds are packed, the boxes, and their "standby" list. Mr Fox himself often answers the phone, and that says family care. They have split, and the other farm is 5th Day farm. I'd highly recommend them also. Same almost Amish hand crafted business. I ordered the rir from Purely due to heat here in Texas and still find customer service and safety outweigh saving a few pennies. Previously we ONLY got chicks from breeders with "Hubbard"genetics, and that mention Is worth a interesting look at for all the redbro /ranger breeds of dual purpose chickens. But we solidly ordered from Murry Mcmurry until this year. I have silkies, and they are a "slippery slope /smoke and mirrors" game of chance unless you see the parents in person. There is a place called "Dunham Farms" that set the bar high on silkies. Go to Craigslist Fort Worth and search Silkie...they are well worth the time to look.You don't have to buy from them, but I wouldn't buy a silkie from just anywhere. Hope that helps. Just for fun, every thing is bigger in Texas, and this is my "Texas SILKIE"!

Attachments

• 00404_9Ksk4Q4aaMs_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg
    00404_9Ksk4Q4aaMs_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 1
Yes, I have lavender khaki cambells, muscovy, orphingtons, and working on "lavender" wood ducks...but the Texas silkie is not a lavender, nor do I like blonde emus or quail.

Did you check Facebook marketplace or a local chicken group? I found a local group in FB that is very active and lots of silkies available, there is also a backyard breeder nearby that I got mine from.
Very responsible of you to think ahead and plan like this.

Did you check Facebook marketplace or a local chicken group? I found a local group in FB that is very active and lots of silkies available, there is also a backyard breeder nearby that I got mine from.
Very responsible of you to think ahead and plan like this.
i will check Facebook soon. thanks for the information

This morning I received an email from My Pet Chicken. It looks like they have some Silkies and other feather-footed bantams available for shipping. Unless I'm reading incorrectly, they are $4 with a $20 premium for pullets. In southern California, where I live, Silkies are generally $25. We've not had great luck with Silkies--they aren't very heat tolerant, they are more susceptible to Marek's, they are susceptible to predators, and they get picked on by standard-sized breeds, although they are absolutely cute and sweet birds. I don't know what your conditions are in Arizona, though (I was in Show Low years ago... what a beautiful place!)

Back
Top Bottom