getting shipped chicks in the mail.

i looked at all of the sites you guys gave me and this is what i found:
Mt Healthy Hatcheries: did not have silkies
Mc Murray: had them, but currently sold out
Ideal: had a BUNCH and as of now they are in stock
and of course when the time comes i will also check my local shops for them.
Yeah, McMurray hardly has any chicks right now. That hatchery is one to check often. I'm waiting for them to finally restock the turkeys. Patience is key when ordering chicks.

i looked at all of the sites you guys gave me and this is what i found:
Mt Healthy Hatcheries: did not have silkies
Mc Murray: had them, but currently sold out
Ideal: had a BUNCH and as of now they are in stock
and of course when the time comes i will also check my local shops for them.
Ok here are some other places that deliver silkies:
Meyer hatcheries $4.34
Cackle hatcheries $3.96
My pet chicken $4.20

Does your feed store allow special orders? Just ask them if they could order silkie pullets for you. I bet that feed stores and places that sell chicks get the first pick from hatcheries.
i hadn't thought of that. that is a good idea. i love chicks but am a bit of a worry wart when it comes to heat and food and their health so i think pullets is the best option, plus i wouldnt have to worry about boys which i wouldn't mind one, its my mom :rolleyes:

i hadn't thought of that. that is a good idea. i love chicks but am a bit of a worry wart when it comes to heat and food and their health so i think pullets is the best option, plus i wouldnt have to worry about boys which i wouldn't mind one, its my mom :rolleyes:
Now if you’re looking for pullets that are little older, that could be more difficult. I know for a fact that Ideal only ships day old chicks, although they call them pullets on the website. That’s their way of distinguishing male and female but by definition a pullet is not a new chick. My Pet Chicken sells real pullets but they are a bit pricey.

Does your feed store allow special orders? Just ask them if they could order silkie pullets for you. I bet that feed stores and places that sell chicks get the first pick from hatcheries.
Only place to get sexed silkies is MyPetChicken, at a cost of $25-30 per chick, not including shipping. Only MPC and Cackle offer sexed bantams, and with Cackle it is only certain breeds that can be sexed by down color/pattern.

Now if you’re looking for pullets that are little older, that could be more difficult. I know for a fact that Ideal only ships day old chicks, although they call them pullets on the website. That’s their way of distinguishing male and female but by definition a pullet is not a new chick. My Pet Chicken sells real pullets but they are a bit pricey.
pullets, cockerels, girls, boys, i cant keep all these extra names in my head long enough to say them!:barnie:lol:
Only place to get sexed silkies is MyPetChicken, at a cost of $25-30 per chick, not including shipping. Only MPC and Cackle offer sexed bantams, and with Cackle it is only certain breeds that can be sexed by down color/pattern.
that is a bit expensive, i still have to talk all this over with my parents because they have veto power and are not afraid to use it lol
thanks

No, they are not coming in thirty minutes or anything, i am just trying to do some research before i move and am able to get them in about six months.
i have a tractor supply, a cal ranch, and a local feed store that have chicks for sale, but i don't know if they sell silkies or not, which is what i want. i also want to find someone local that sells silkie pullets, but i have had no luck with that so far.
so if none of my stores/people that sell chickens sell silkies i think i might have to buy online.
does anyone have any information on getting chicks in the mail? what to do, where to get them from Etc...
also any info about silkies is appreciated :)

I bought chicks from Tractor Supple online and had no problem getting them in the mail. Very healthy chicks, only lost one and also got an extra chick?

Back
Top Bottom