Getting shipped eggs in summer Bad Idea?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by madelynbelle, May 16, 2009.

1. madelynbelle

madelynbelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    PUGET SOUND
    I am on a backorder to get some eggs and they wont be shipped until first part of July. Is this a bad idea? I know shipped eggs are iffy anyway, but if they get hot in transit going across the country that cant be good right. Has anyone else had eggs shipped during the summer long distances and they still had o.k. hatches, or should I bag it until October and see if I can get eggs then. Do most people still ship eggs in the heat of summer

2. okiron

okiron Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Hmm, I hope if it was a bad idea the hatcheries wouldn't ship them to begin with but then again, who knows. I could see why there would be concern though.

3. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Eggs don't ship well in hot weather, we stop shipping our eggs when the temp hits high 80's or low 90's

Steve in NC

4. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Im getting one order of eggs this week, Im shipping 2 out, and then Im done for the summer. I wouldnt even consider shipping or getting eggs in July. I have much better luck shipping in the fall and the winter, even when its really cold. The eggs seem to be fine even when cold, as long as they dont freeze. Heat seems to hurt them more than cold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by