Getting show ready?!

PigTheChicken

Chirping
Feb 7, 2021
I am new to showing and in need of some help. I have a pure bred Silver Laced Wyandotte hen which I got last year, she is amost 2 years old. I have a couple of questions, the first one is that she keeps flying over the fences. We have 4 other chickens and 2 ducks which all except one (which I clippped her wing feathers and she hasen‘t done it since) who never had tried to fly over the fence. We can’t keep them free range because of the dogs around our area but sometimes we let them out on the weekend and supervise them as they free range around our yard. I don‘t want to clip her wings because I don’t think you can do that if you wan’t your hen to be in a show. The second problem is that the feathers on her back and a couple of her primary wing feathers have snapped and I don’t know what to do about them. Can I just pull them out and they will grow back? I have looked online and I can’t find anything about cutting them out, I have only seen that all you can do is wait for them to moult but I don‘t really want to wait that long? She is 99% tame and is fine with being picked up, she travelled in a pet carrier for around 40 minutes when we got her, so she has no issues with being in cages or small spaces for a long amounts of time. I have also washed her a few times in a shallow warm bath and she has been totally fine with that too (I was surprised!). If anyone has any suggestions or answers for my questions that would be great!😄 (I can also take some photos if that would help?)

Theyl l only grow back once they're out and she molts.
Ok, she hasen’t started moulting this year while my other chickens have. It might be because she had gone broody and only just gotten off the nest. I don’t really want to wait until next year? Also what do you mean they will only grow back when their out? Do I have to pull them out so they can grow back?

Theoretically if you started plucking her, she might go into a molt. Her body knows the quills are still there, so she doesn't know she needs to molt yet. If she brooded, you'll just have to wait. That's why we never let out showbirds brood.

I am new to showing and in need of some help. I have a pure bred Silver Laced Wyandotte hen which I got last year, she is amost 2 years old. I have a couple of questions, the first one is that she keeps flying over the fences. We have 4 other chickens and 2 ducks which all except one (which I clippped her wing feathers and she hasen‘t done it since) who never had tried to fly over the fence. We can’t keep them free range because of the dogs around our area but sometimes we let them out on the weekend and supervise them as they free range around our yard. I don‘t want to clip her wings because I don’t think you can do that if you wan’t your hen to be in a show. The second problem is that the feathers on her back and a couple of her primary wing feathers have snapped and I don’t know what to do about them. Can I just pull them out and they will grow back? I have looked online and I can’t find anything about cutting them out, I have only seen that all you can do is wait for them to moult but I don‘t really want to wait that long? She is 99% tame and is fine with being picked up, she travelled in a pet carrier for around 40 minutes when we got her, so she has no issues with being in cages or small spaces for a long amounts of time. I have also washed her a few times in a shallow warm bath and she has been totally fine with that too (I was surprised!). If anyone has any suggestions or answers for my questions that would be great!😄 (I can also take some photos if that would help?)
20201204_10372515.jpg

Back
Top Bottom