1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Getting some Chukar Chicks....are they like quail to raise?

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by Chiko, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    I'm getting 4 three week old Chukar Chicks. I have a nice brooder setup for them and have gamebird starter ready. What else? Are they like Quail? I've raised Coturnix Quail chicks...are they the same as chicks?

Also when they are 6 weeks old, I'm taking them outside can they be put with my 2 Coturnix?

2. OzawkieBantams

OzawkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Ozawkie, KS
    Quote:IMHO They are nothing like quail chicks they are mean little bast*rds plus, you need to give them a mile of space between each other so they do have each other with some fava beans and a nice chianti. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  3. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    if you have yours on wire make sure the wire is small enough 1/2 X 1/2" is better then 1/2 X 1

4. birdboy508

birdboy508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    east taunton
    dont put them in with the cortournix but they are easier to raise than quail.[​IMG] mr bantahms is wrong because i have 4 and the two males get along fine.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  5. pheasantfreak

pheasantfreak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Preston, idaho
    in my opinion they about the same to raise but the chuckars are alot meaner

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  6. Jimsbirdhouse

Jimsbirdhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2010
    Gonzales, Texas
    When you raise chukars be sure not to mix your birds, I have about 300 young chukars in 4 different pens. The main thing is that what hatches together stays together. I have no problems with them fighting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by