Getting started w quail

Discussions have begun about keeping some indoor button quail as a bedroom companion… in addition to or possibly even instead of coturnix? We’re concerned about keeping them outdoors but they can’t stay in the house, we don’t have space or anywhere with light + ventilation
Quail indoors can be done, but be aware that they create amazing amounts of dust. You will be dusting your house every day to keep up with it.

Quail indoors can be done, but be aware that they create amazing amounts of dust. You will be dusting your house every day to keep up with it.
I’ve heard this term dusty before about birds but I’m still a bit confused about what it entails and what to do about it?

I’ve heard this term dusty before about birds but I’m still a bit confused about what it entails and what to do about it?
There's not much you can do about it. What I mean is that everything in your house will be covered in dust. I don't know where it comes from exactly, but I know that when I have birds in the house, the dust is insane.

I've also had a doctor tell me that birds indoors are a bad idea if you have any respiratory issues. This is probably due to the dust.

There's not much you can do about it. What I mean is that everything in your house will be covered in dust. I don't know where it comes from exactly, but I know that when I have birds in the house, the dust is insane.

I've also had a doctor tell me that birds indoors are a bad idea if you have any respiratory issues. This is probably due to the dust.
Ok! Would like a fish tank + screen on top help with dust at all? Maybe like mosquito netting or something fine? Or should I just get an air purifier and accept that there’ll just be a lot of dust?

Ok! Would like a fish tank + screen on top help with dust at all? Maybe like mosquito netting or something fine? Or should I just get an air purifier and accept that there’ll just be a lot of dust?
I would get an air purifier and accept the dust. The mesh top will catch some of it, but there will be plenty to go around.

I found someone in my area with baby buttons and coturnixes for sale and im so so tempted to get a pair (or trio in case one dies) of buttons :oops:
the only thing is im not ready for them (can be in a week or less though) and what if theyre both males

Last edited:
I found someone in my area with baby buttons and coturnixes for sale and im so so tempted to get a pair (or trio in case one dies) of buttons :oops:
the only thing is im not ready for them (can be in a week or less though) and what if theyre both males
If you get a same gender pair, they'll be fine. Rarely they won't get along, but that's the case even with mixed gender pairs.

If you get a same gender pair, they'll be fine. Rarely they won't get along, but that's the case even with mixed gender pairs.
I’ve heard that 2 males will fight. It’s nice to know they may be okay :). I sent them a message to see if they’re still available or may be available at a later date

I’ve heard that 2 males will fight. It’s nice to know they may be okay :). I sent them a message to see if they’re still available or may be available at a later date
They’ll often get along as long as there aren’t any girls. I’ve kept a male and 2-3 hens with no problems, but they basically were my keepers and extra hens after I sold a bunch, so they were never really divided out into groups, there were just less and less left in the bin until it was just them. So they were always together and their covey just shrank until it was just them. If I had tried to add new girls to an established pair, the hens would probably fight.

It's debated, but mostly thought to be a combination of "powder down," disintegrated keratin sheaths from growing feathers, and dead skin cells. Some downy feathers in birds disintegrate (purposefully) into a substance called "powder down" which helps keep their feathers dry and fluffy. When birds preen, they're distributing this powder down, rearranging their feathers, pulling shed keratin and skin cells to the surface, and shaking it all out. They also distribute oil from their preening glands to condition & waterproof their outer feathers. Doing this helps keep everything orderly, dry, poofy, insulatory, and keeps them from getting stuck together/dirty. It's also why they love dust bathing, it helps keep their feathers dry and separated. And it's why sick birds that can't/aren't preening properly start looking raggedy pretty quickly.

Back
Top Bottom