Getting started w quail

i am back on my insanity with the "should i get coturnix or buttons" and both have a lot of pros and cons and aaaaa. does anyone actually use a UV lamp for their buttons and do they actually need vet visits for nail/beak trims? is there a way to let them naturally wear it down instead?
If you set up the cage so they need to stand on a brick to eat or drink, they will maintain their own nails. Having a brick to rub on let’s them maintain their beaks too.

I didn’t use uv and my buttons were fine, lived bred, grew, escaped and led me on chases thru the house haha no issues.

I kept blind Coturnix indoors with no issues except dust, but I found buttons just as dusty as cots.

I fed the eggs to my dogs whole.

If you set up the cage so they need to stand on a brick to eat or drink, they will maintain their own nails. Having a brick to rub on let’s them maintain their beaks too.

I didn’t use uv and my buttons were fine, lived bred, grew, escaped and led me on chases thru the house haha no issues.

I kept blind Coturnix indoors with no issues except dust, but I found buttons just as dusty as cots.

I fed the eggs to my dogs whole.
That’s super helpful, thank you!! So I’ve just gotta make a decision basically but otherwise everything’s pretty much the same I think

I’m not sure about the best way to keep them outdoors until I get an aviary. I might keep them in a bunny hutch or similar inside, or maybe still a large aquarium… I keep going back and forth on everything!

Lots of ideas posted here and elsewhere. I can't think of a way an aquarium could possibly be predator-proofed, but maybe if you're keeping them in a secure shed/garage it could be alright until the aviary is finished.

Back
Top Bottom