Getting started with guineas

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jim and Karen, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Jim and Karen

Jim and Karen New Egg

Dec 27, 2015
    We are looking to buy some guineas and then some chickens. Do Guineans require a coop or can they run free?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I'll let the experts chime in with an answer to your questions but for now I will just say hi and welcome to BYC

Cheers
    Ct

3. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    I don't really know anything about Guineas but I did want to say, "Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!"

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm a chicken person and don't know much about Guineas (never had any), but definitely post on our Guinea section in Other Backyard Poultry under the Forum at the top of the page and take advantage of our Guinea experts there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. KeyFlock

KeyFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2015
    Kansas
    [​IMG] Sorry, I don't know anything about guineas. [​IMG]

7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Guineas can and do free range and can do so well at it that they need very little feed in the summer. You will have to supplement them in the winter. However, they don't have ANY defense other than escape from both daytime and nighttime predators if you let them roost outside of a predator proof coop.

Edit to add: unless you have a LARGE acreage, they will be wandering on your neighbor's property. Not all neighbors appreciate that.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You can post your questions on the "Guinea thread," where people breed and raise them. I'm sure they could offer the best advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by